Secure doormat

No, this isn't a personal question. Problem is, floor mat at front entrance will not stay put. Largely due to energetic dawg.

Current situation is a typical mat, approx. 36 x 48". Hallway is tile that is not precious. I have tried pads, and there is not enough carpet tape in the world to keep this thing in place.

More than willing to go tabula rasa if anyone has a solution. I'm in Canada so "permanent" mat is a must, especially in winter.

My current best idea is Velcro -- willing to staple through mat to secure. But gluing to ceramic floor would be a little extreme.
posted by raider to Home & Garden (9 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

You can get a hard rubber 'frame' for the doormat. Since they're for outdoor use, the tread on the back may be more skid stable.
posted by fluttering hellfire at 8:19 PM on December 28, 2017

Yeah, velcro should work. It's inexpensive, so not much of a commitment if it doesn't work. We use that a lot on construction sites. Stick the stripes of hooks onto clean tile, staple or glue loop strips to your mat.

If you are reasonably handy and don't mind permanent modifications, consider cutting and demoing a rectangle of tile, waterproofing with something like liquid rubber, trimming out the edges, and dropping in a recessed floor mat.
posted by halogen at 8:29 PM on December 28, 2017 [1 favorite]

Lightweight mats will skid, but have you already tried a heavy (10 pounds!), rubber-backed mat like this one?
posted by maudlin at 8:49 PM on December 28, 2017 [2 favorites]

The waterhog is another heavyweight example. I was happy with how it gripped on slippery ceramic tile. Grip strips were advertised if more adhesive is needed on hard flooring.
posted by crazycanuck at 9:42 PM on December 28, 2017 [1 favorite]

Have you tried Gorilla Double Sided Mounting Tape?
posted by Zedcaster at 11:42 PM on December 28, 2017

We use the one maudlin recommends in a similar situation - large doggo, tile floor, front door opens out to Canada. It works perfectly and it's a really good size.

Bonus is that the rubber backing traps ALL the moisture, and it doesn't get snags. Not such a bonus is that if you have 15 people over for Christmas dinner during a snowy evening, it takes a long time to dry.
posted by peagood at 7:53 AM on December 29, 2017

You can get Velcro that is sticky on both sides, though that (and other double-stick tapes, including what I'm about to recommend) could be a little tricky to apply in cold temperatures such as you probably have right now.

If all else fails, and you don't need the doormat to be removable, there's always 3M VHB (very heavy bond) tape. Someday, when you remove the doormat, it will get destroyed and you'll have to scrape the tape off the floor with a blade. But it shouldn't go anywhere in the meantime.
posted by Huffy Puffy at 8:15 AM on December 29, 2017

I would get the heavy rubber mat and if it still keeps moving use Gorilla Glue (remember that GG wants damp surfaces in order to cure correctly). You should be able to razor/chisel or sand it off later if you need to.
posted by Lyn Never at 8:36 AM on December 29, 2017

Rug tape is your answer. Like this Mainstays Rug Gripper Tape. I use it for my bathroom mats, which my cat likes to scratch. They don't budge.
posted by capricorn at 11:38 AM on December 29, 2017

« Older ISO DIY CBT workbooks for OCD   |   Can encryption be reverse engineered from... Newer »