Is there a property of toilets that make them stickier than others?

This is a question about toilets and home renovations that includes a little bit about poop - TMI alert.

In our house, we have two porcelain toilets of different brands but of generally the same quality and age. I poop in both of them, and yet my poop sticks to one but not the other. I'm not a "resident" bathroom user (i.e, not in there for 10 mins) so there's no variable of how I use the two that is in play. Temperature is similar in both rooms, however room #1 (non-stick) probably has higher humidity during the day as it's got the family's shower in it.

We're thinking of replacing at least one of the toilets in the next year or two and I'm struggling to figure out what it is about the non-stick toilet that makes it so. Is this something that happens with age or is there a particular property we should be looking for to avoid future stickiness? Is there something else we should be thinking about to avoid having to clean the sticky toilet every single time it's used?
posted by anonymous to Home & Garden (8 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Depending on how much "residue" is left behind, I would suspect that the difference is less in the finish of the porcelain, and more in the shape of the bowl (is one more "flat-bottomed" than the other, for instance?), the efficacy of the flush, etc. Which doesn't solve your immediate question, but at least throws in a bunch more variables for you to worry about! :)
posted by misterbrandt at 1:48 PM on December 28, 2017 [1 favorite]

I have three identical toilets, and stuff sticks sometimes and sometimes not in all of them. So it could just be the nature of the particular poop. But if you're convinced one particular toilet has more stick happening, then replace that one. If it helps, the ones I got are Gerbers, "comfort height", "extended seat", 1.28 gal/flush, and in major contrast with my old toilets, in two full years I have never had to use a plunger in any of them.
posted by beagle at 1:48 PM on December 28, 2017 [1 favorite]

Certain manufacturers certainly claim to have materials that cause less sticking. E.g. Toto's "CeFiONtect." Whether they work or not, I can not say, but maybe one of yours has such a material and the other doesn't?
posted by primethyme at 1:52 PM on December 28, 2017

I have read the assertion that production quality matters when it comes to creating a great porcelain bowl. Not just for the bowl but also the passages that the water travels through. I do not know how to test the quality of an offered fixture, other than using it. For this reason I try not to buy the cheap ones.
posted by Midnight Skulker at 2:17 PM on December 28, 2017

If someone scrubbed the porcelain too hard, it's possible scratches were left which cannot be seen by the human eye, but which accumulate detritus the other does not.
posted by WCityMike at 2:25 PM on December 28, 2017 [10 favorites]

WCityMike has it, with the additional point that bleach causes micropitting that catches grossness. Ironically, it's likely that the grosser toilet historically had the more fastidious person in charge of cleaning it, someone who used comet, bleach, and elbow grease to get it as "clean" as possible.
posted by Krawczak at 2:32 PM on December 28, 2017 [3 favorites]

So, we have three different toilets in our house, and we've replaced all of them since we moved in. Two of them are the same toilet, and they are very sticky and suck and we'd wished we'd bought different ones. One of them works like a dream.

They are of similar age, and the same cleaning methods are used with all of them, so it really must be the shape of the bowl or the material used. I suspect the shape.
posted by hought20 at 5:36 PM on December 28, 2017 [1 favorite]

I vote shape. I’m currently visiting my childhood home, and the toilet in my bathroom has the elongated seat with an extremely long flat bottom. The flush is wimpier than it used to be, which probably has something to do with why I see more residue now than long ago, but the flat bottom is a terrible design. We don’t have the same issue with the elongated toilet at my own house and I’ll bet money it’s because the bottom is more rounded.
posted by telepanda at 6:56 PM on December 28, 2017

« Older Best shampoo for removing hair product?   |   Yeah, they just texted that we should pull the... Newer »