Do you cry when you poop?

It's almost Christmas so let's talk about our bathroom habits.

A lot of times when I go to the bathroom, I shed tears. The more intense the bathroom need, the more tears. There is no emotional component, just physical. It's been happening my whole life, but I never see anyone else wiping tears away when they leave a bathroom stall. Am I alone? Or is everyone hiding this habit??
posted by anonymous to Health & Fitness (19 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

You are not alone. It's happened to me on many occasions. Not sure what it is. Pretty sure others experience it as well. Just means you're really emptying the tank, hahaha. But in all seriousness again I think it's normal.
posted by ljs30 at 12:23 AM on December 23, 2017

I don't do this, but if I did, I wouldn't be worried about it. They're both a way in which your body excretes stuff.
posted by aniola at 12:30 AM on December 23, 2017 [1 favorite]

Are the tears from pain? If so, you might want to adjust your diet... Or are they just from the physical release?
posted by Weeping_angel at 12:31 AM on December 23, 2017

It makes sense that some people would produce tears while using the toilet because lacrimation and defecation are both mediated by the parasympathetic nervous system. Your PNS just happens to be set up so that a signal intended to trigger one triggers both.
posted by ocherdraco at 2:03 AM on December 23, 2017 [21 favorites]

Just as a data point, pooping causing crying is as much news to me as running causing pooping was, eg very much news.
posted by ominous_paws at 2:23 AM on December 23, 2017 [8 favorites]

No, but I have had more than one lover who cried when they had an orgasm, in a completely "this is just a parallel physical thing my body is doing and not an emotional reaction at all."
posted by Orlop at 3:22 AM on December 23, 2017 [5 favorites]

This happened to me sometimes when I was a kid.
posted by woodvine at 5:22 AM on December 23, 2017 [1 favorite]

Are we talking sobbing or tears or both?

Anyway, I often shed a few large tears when yawning, the bigger the yawn the more likely and more voluminous.
posted by SaltySalticid at 5:33 AM on December 23, 2017 [5 favorites]

I just recently learned that pooping stimulates the vagus nerve, which in turn stimulates all kinds of other weird body reactions.
posted by Brittanie at 7:13 AM on December 23, 2017 [2 favorites]

Not crying, but my nose gets runny. Another parasympathetic nervous system thing I guess.

It sucks because that is the time I least want my nose to be functioning normally, and yet I have to blow my nose, which guarantees it.
posted by ArgentCorvid at 8:24 AM on December 23, 2017

I cry when I’m very tired, even without any yawning. Not an emotional thing at all, just tears dripping everywhere. Bodies are weird.
posted by Andrhia at 9:39 AM on December 23, 2017 [9 favorites]

Literally right now
posted by masquesoporfavor at 9:53 AM on December 23, 2017 [4 favorites]

Count me in as another tiredcrier. I've had to explain to people that no, I'm not upset or sad, just tired. I think it's just the body letting stuff out.
posted by spinifex23 at 11:45 AM on December 23, 2017

Pooping & vagus nerve. The vagus nerve controls and is associated with a bunch of stuff, like heart rate. I found this interesting but not real surprising. Note: Americans/ Westerners tend to be chronically constipated, so adding bran and vegetable fiber to diet for a couple weeks and seeing if it makes a difference is not a bad idea, especially if you are straining.
posted by theora55 at 2:47 PM on December 23, 2017 [2 favorites]

I'm exactly the way you describe, only with urination. The more urgent the pee, the fatter the tears, literally rolling down my face. I've always humorously thought of them as tears of relief!
posted by sweetpotato at 8:22 PM on December 23, 2017

I get this but usually only if it's when I first wake up, and usually after I sit but before (ahem) anything else starts happening.
Also started when I was a kid.
posted by Mister Moofoo at 1:44 AM on December 24, 2017

Ask your Enteric Nervous System
posted by andreap at 1:03 PM on December 24, 2017

I don't cry, but my nose runs like crazy. As soon as the pooping is done, so is the nose running.
posted by VioletU at 9:55 AM on December 25, 2017

« Older Staying in room that smells like cat pee   |   How to dress well (as a therapist) Newer »