How do I faucet (obsessive research edition)
December 21, 2017 7:33 AM   Subscribe

After a silly amount of research, I have determined that a Chicago Faucet is for me, due to sturdiness. I would like to buy this one, because I like the double-jointed spout, but I don't know whether the spout is the right size for my kitchen sink. This kind of spout comes in different sizes, though, and spouts and bases can be bought separately. What size spout? Which base (scroll down)? Would I need extra fittings to connect the two? Does a ceramic cartridge matter? HALP
posted by the_blizz to Home & Garden (3 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
are you DIYing this ?

If the new sink is undermount, I'm assuming the current sink is also undermount ? (Or: What's your current sink and counter look like, both above and below - supply/drain lines etc).

The base-only in the link are all commercial grade - do you need that ? There are PDF install specs for the bases, which give you an idea of the dimensions you'll need. (I'd guess residential is more standard, but may still have different dimensions depending on what your house plumbing is like .. )

Might be better off going to a brick/mortar store and talking to someone (though your bigbox retailer may not be as helpful as a more specialized place)
posted by k5.user at 8:08 AM on December 21, 2017

We installed a very similar Chicago Faucet faucet when we remodeled our kitchen about 15 years ago. We installed it on an undermount sink, using a friend-of-a-friend plumber who was doing the work on the side. We bought the faucet online and between having the unofficial plumber and no one at a store to ask questions of, we had a terrible time getting this thing installed. If I remember correctly, since it was an industrial faucet, there were issues with the thickness of the deck of the counter it was to mount into and we ended up kludging together a large assortment of washers to build up underneath, so it seated properly. There was also a spare part we needed and Chicago Faucet customer service was spectacularly unhelpful, because we weren't a commercial account. After my 4th call to their "help" line, someone finally took pity on me and sent me the spare part. My cautionary tale is to warn you that these are not just a pop-in sort of faucet and I would advise you to work with either a retailer who could offer you some assistance with your questions and/or an installer who is familiar with these.

All that being said, once it's installed, it's a fantastic faucet. Built like a tank. Nary a problem in 15 years of use. We have the ceramic cartridge and it has a very nice feel when shutting off the water and we don't have to worry about replacing cartridges.
posted by sarajane at 10:40 AM on December 21, 2017

Seeing as this is an undermount sink, The faucet base needs to fit through the hole, and be able to work with the thickness of your countertop material.

The spec sheet for the faucet shows: you need a hole in your countertop and in your sink that's just bigger than 1-1/16" diameter and definitely smaller than 2". Probably a 1-1/8" diameter hole. The maximum countertop + sink thickness that it can handle is 1-5/8".

The spec sheet for the sink shows: the holes are oversized at 2-3/8". The thickness of the sink around the hole area is 9/16".

Therefore, this will work if you're working with a new countertop, and the 50-DJ24ABCP faucet does work with the Kohler K-5872-5UA1-0 sink, then the countertop material around the hole area has to be around 1" thickness maximum, and the countertop should have a 1-1/8" diameter hole (that aligns with the locations of the pre-existing undermount sink holes).
posted by suedehead at 11:35 AM on December 21, 2017

« Older Springsteen on Broadway, now what?   |   Benadryl for traveling 18 month old - safety and... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.