NTSC color bars via Pantone?

We're making some promo items (hats, shirts, ect.) that will have color bars on them. The embroiderer wants the colors specified in Pantone numbers. I don't know...

It seems you can't just say "80% white, yellow, cyan, green, magenta, red, blue," she wants numbers. I don't really need a perfect match, but I'd like them to look real. I'm a little over my head here.
posted by Marky to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (4 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

http://www.pantone-colours.com
posted by Brockles at 8:14 PM on December 17, 2017

SMPTE bars are 75% not 80%.

I can express that in RGB:
white = FFFFFF (or 255-255-255)
yellow = FFFF00 (0r 255-255-0)
(You can literally google "yellow in RGB".)

If you want 75% intensity, change each FF pair to BF (or 255 to 191).

Then google "RGB to Pantone".
posted by intermod at 8:33 PM on December 17, 2017 [1 favorite]

This has the RGB values of Video Color Bars

And this can convert RGB to Pantone.
posted by willnot at 8:33 PM on December 17, 2017 [5 favorites]

If you know any graphic designers or screenprinters, they should have a Pantone swatchbook that you could swing by and consult (assuming your embroiderer isn't in town).

Colors on screen are completely different than colors in real life, so finding a set of colors that look right in real life will be worth it, and give you and the embroiderer a common frame of reference. Once you find yourself a Pantone book in real life and spend a couple minutes with it, I think everyone will feel more comfortable about moving forward with this project.
posted by redsparkler at 11:29 AM on December 18, 2017

« Older Depression, medication and expectations   |   Golden Gate...Divisadero...Turk...Fillmore! Newer »