How can I buy wind-up mechanisms?
December 17, 2017 7:06 PM   Subscribe

I want to make my own wind-up toys, by which I mean I want to make things and stick wind-up mechanisms inside them. Metal visible parts strongly preferred, but other than that I don't need anything fancy - fancy things I don't need include antique parts, expensive kits or wholesale quantities. I just know there are lots of cheap wind-up toys, so I'd like to think there's some way to buy the mechanism for a similar price.
posted by lgyre to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (4 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
I found these on eBay.
posted by catastropher at 7:13 PM on December 17, 2017

If you have a Michaels craft store nearby, you can see if they carry them. They had music box components when I looked recently, so perhaps they have wind up parts.
posted by hampanda at 7:58 PM on December 17, 2017

I looked for "spring motors," "wind-up motors," and, finally, "clockwork motors," before I hit upon anything useful. Here's a couple links:

Classic Tin Toy Co.

(uk) ebay: 10 Clockwork motors with keys

Have to say that I am surprised there seems to be no common supplier of clockwork motors although I found many clockwork spring suppliers.
posted by bz at 8:39 PM on December 17, 2017 [1 favorite]

American Science and Surplus was made for this question.
posted by Marie Mon Dieu at 11:21 PM on December 17, 2017 [3 favorites]

« Older Need to stick stuff to brick without drilling   |   Anyone seen a silver llama creamer? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.