What kind of bug is this?

I found this bug while vacuuming behind my bed. What is it?

It seems to have eight legs (so not a bedbug (i hope)), maybe some kind of tick? It was a couple mm long. I haven't seen any others.

Picture here.
posted by Bahro to Home & Garden (14 answers total)

That's some sort of spider.
posted by jbenben at 12:53 PM on December 16, 2017 [3 favorites]

If you have a Twitter account, try asking the account @recluseornot - they do spider IDs if you include your location. Doesn’t look like a brown recluse though.
posted by deludingmyself at 12:57 PM on December 16, 2017

Adult ticks have eight legs.
posted by Oyéah at 1:44 PM on December 16, 2017

Doesn't look like a tick to me, definitely seems to be a type of spider. A general idea of where you are currently located in the world might help to ID the little guy.
posted by DSime at 2:05 PM on December 16, 2017

It looks like a yellow sac spider, which is a pretty common species with a wide distribution.
posted by sevenyearlurk at 2:15 PM on December 16, 2017

It looks more like a tick to me. It doesn't seem to have the separate thorax that spiders have.
posted by essexjan at 3:06 PM on December 16, 2017

I'm in the San Francisco Bay area. It was, at most, 4mm long.
posted by Bahro at 4:18 PM on December 16, 2017

My nature book suggests people learn how the poisonous spiders in their region look, then whenever you see a spider and it’s not (a black widow/hobo spider/etc) you don’t have to worry about it. Maybe we should learn our ticks and bedbugs too.

With that in mind, I can tell you it does not look like any yellow sac spider I’ve ever seen (they are longer and skinnier and paler in my experience) and it does NOT look like a bedbug, its legs are too long and its coloring is too weird.
posted by hungrytiger at 5:13 PM on December 16, 2017

It looks like a baby spider, probably a common house spider. It doesn't look like a recluse or black widow.

Probably not a yellow sac spider, as it would have a narrower cream colored abdomen. Hobos would have a pattern on their back and are kind of orange (and have more visible spinnerets).

It just wants to eat insects, let it be or take it outside.
posted by Candleman at 5:37 PM on December 16, 2017 [1 favorite]

It has 8 legs so it is not a bedbug, they have 6 and it doesn't look like one either way. Ticks' legs are oriented differently on their bodies and when they aren't engorged they're basically flat, and when engorged you can barely see the legs (I live in the Bay area and work and recreate in the outdoors and am very familiar with ticks).

I also believe this to be some kind of baby spider. It's not the clearest picture but it also looks like there are spider-like pedipalps at the front of the head.
posted by primalux at 6:38 PM on December 16, 2017 [3 favorites]

An excellent place to ask about bugs is the reddit /r/whatsthisbug group. A number of very knowledgeable people hang out there. I'm guessing that they'd quickly confirm whether it's a juvenile Sac Spider.
posted by dws at 7:22 PM on December 16, 2017 [1 favorite]

Spiders don't have thoraxes. You definitely have some kind of spider there. The average house has around three dozen species of spider living in it, though most are so small and so reclusive that you will never even be aware that they exist.
posted by rockindata at 7:38 PM on December 16, 2017

It is a spider. It is not a tick or a bedbug.
posted by WalkerWestridge at 10:48 PM on December 16, 2017 [2 favorites]

PS you can post your pic to the ID Please section of BugGuide. net. They usually respond pretty quickly and most of them are professional entomologists.
posted by WalkerWestridge at 10:51 PM on December 16, 2017

« Older Last Minute Over New Years Vacation Ideas   |   Pesticides in meat and dairy? Newer »