Looking for things to do this week in Philadelphia

I'm in the Philadelphia area (from Northern California) through this Friday night for work, and I am looking for things to do at night.

I'm into concerts (rock, punk, folk, metal), open mic nights, stand up comedy, beer, art galleries, Burning Man, escape rooms, performance art (especially modern dance), and other things that are fun and interesting. I'm not super into food, unless there is something that can't be missed. Probably do the Philadelphia Museum of Art on Wednesday as it's open late. I will be alone, so things that can be done alone are preferable. Also somewhere I could get some really interesting Christmas presents for my 7 year old daughter would be great. I have looked at some older questions but they are either outdated or primarily focused on things to do during the day.

Demographics: 36, cis-male, not particularly extroverted.
posted by sacrifix to Travel & Transportation around Philadelphia, PA (10 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Evil Genius brewery has a free burlesque night this Tuesday 8-10, i am planning on being there. See their facebook for details. Its easily accessible off the berks stop on the market frankford line.

Love park has the christmas market, and theres a different one at dillworth plaza (city hall). Im not sure on the hours.
posted by TheAdamist at 11:31 AM on December 11, 2017

I am a nerd who likes the Philadelphia tourism site UWISHUNU, even though it's horribly named. They've got a post for this coming week, and it's heavy on holiday events, but there's some of what you're looking for in there too.
posted by gladly at 1:12 PM on December 11, 2017

If you can, try to get a ticket to see a show at The Walnut Street Theatre. It's the oldest theater in the United States, the State Theater of Pennsylvania, and the longest continually operating theater in the western world. They do original productions, and they're as good as you can expect to see on Broadway.

Disclaimer: I worked for the Walnut for seven years back when I lived in Philly, though I moved away five years ago.

Also worth checking out if you're interested in music: World Cafe Life has shows many nights, both upstairs in their bar area, and downstairs in their main room. It's reasonably priced, too.

Off the beaten path, if you take the 34 Trolley out to 49th Street and Baltimore Avenue, you can get interesting, locally made gifts at VIX Emporium. While you're out there, grab a beer from Dock Street Brewery. West Philadelphia is also home to a number of nice restaurants, coffee shops, and bars. My favorite bar is Fiume, a little hole-in-the-wall at 45th and Locust, above the Abyssinia Ethiopian Restaurant. Thursday is Bluegrass Night there!
posted by SansPoint at 1:47 PM on December 11, 2017 [2 favorites]

It's looking like burlesque tomorrow night, art museum Wednesday night, and bluegrass Thursday night. I just need to find something for Friday. Thanks for the suggestions so far!
posted by sacrifix at 2:27 PM on December 11, 2017 [1 favorite]

Check out Johnny Brenda's for both beer and music, and Monk's for beer.
posted by sepviva at 5:30 PM on December 11, 2017

Walk up to a Cheesesteak place and say the magic words "one provolone without" and they'll place something delicious in front of you.
posted by Talez at 5:34 PM on December 11, 2017

This is what I would go to on Friday if I could stay up until 10pm....
posted by i_am_a_fiesta at 9:49 PM on December 11, 2017

Friday there's a dance show by Ronald K Brown/Evidence, if you're into afro-contemporary.
posted by entropone at 4:48 AM on December 12, 2017

There is a pop-up market on the Parkway on Friday. Also a cabaret at Fringe Arts.
posted by basalganglia at 5:11 PM on December 12, 2017

Talez: No, no, no, no. "One provolone with" is the correct order.

(Though, really, as long as you're not
a) getting whiz
b) ordering from Pat's, Geno's, or Jim's
you're ok.)
posted by SansPoint at 9:30 AM on December 13, 2017

« Older Coping like a pro.   |   yoga nidra via google home Newer »