ISO large and attractive interruption

I'm looking for an alert/alarm app for Mac which can operate entirely visually, with no sounds (sounds stress me the hell out and are counterproductive). I want it to bring up the largest possible window (fullscreen would be great). Ideally this would be something super visually pleasing. I want to be like 'oh thank you, application, for taking up the whole of my screen to tell me to go to fucking bed. I would resent you if you weren't so beautiful.'

I really super need to be going to bed earlier than I am, in order not to end up feeling dreadful and getting ill. But it's really, really difficult for me to switch gears once I'm in the middle of something (currently waiting to be assessed for possible ASD). I'm going to be doing other things to try to get my routine in order, but some technological help would be nice here - something that would break gently in and remind me that my flesh body needs rest even when I'm fifteen articles into a Wikipedia binge or what have you. I'm hoping for something that would allow me to set multiple alerts, to get me to take my medication, start getting ready for bed and then finally, hopefully, to go the fuck to sleep.

I am using a Macbook Pro, High Sierra.
posted by Acheman to Computers & Internet (4 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I know what you mean, and this is not exactly it, but you can get f.lux to beautifully dim at a certain time.
posted by 8603 at 3:11 PM on December 8, 2017

Play around with the built-in Automator application and see if you can schedule it to open, say, certain pictures at certain times that you specify.
posted by delight at 5:04 PM on December 8, 2017 [1 favorite]

Seconding F.lux. It has a little visual notice saying "you are waking up in x hours" which I find particularly motivating.

Also, if you have an iPhone you can set Bedtime (which is a wake alarm in the morning with a far nicer alarm than the other options IMHO). The nifty part is that you can set it to remind you any time before bed you'd like to get however many hours of sleep you think you need (I have mine set 30m before 8 hours of sleep for just the teeth-brushing/contact removing/face-washing/vitamin taking reasons you mention). The really nifty thing is it will pop up on your mac (not full-screen) without a noise gently reminding you to Go the Fuck to Sleep (as Samuel L Jackson would say).
posted by eglenner at 11:11 PM on December 8, 2017

You can, I just tried it. You can save it as a Calendar event that repeats every day.
posted by bongo_x at 12:56 AM on December 9, 2017 [2 favorites]

« Older Inspirational book for a future entomologist (with...   |   Whither Windows? Newer »