Noisy Cybertronic gaming computer

After a Nvidia update, and Mozilla update, and my grandson setting up some epic games, and using the xbox for the first time; my computer sounds like a sparrow with OCD is frantically typing the same short bit over and over, after hitting the return bar in a manual typewriter. At times it sounds like the machine takes a deep breath. So, does anyone know about this? It makes so much noise it is unpleasant, and this is a new machine, year and a quarter old. I got it for the ram and the video card.
posted by Oyéah to Technology (9 answers total)

Fractured bearing in one of the fans? You should be able to tell by taking the cover off and briefly stopping them in turn.
posted by pharm at 2:35 PM on December 1, 2017 [1 favorite]

To be clear, this is a mechanical noise and not something coming out of your speakers? I agree that it's likely related to a fan.
posted by jordemort at 2:46 PM on December 1, 2017

I assume this is a desktop computer and the sound is coming from the tower, so I would think it's a moving part, like either a fan or a hard disk drive. Are you comfortable opening it up and having a look and listening to narrow down the source?
posted by AppleTurnover at 2:59 PM on December 1, 2017

I bet there's a wire getting hit by a fan. Take the cover off and turn the computer on.
posted by gregr at 3:11 PM on December 1, 2017

OK I have to take that big tower out from its inconvenient location, and I will look. Nothing changed it was not moved, it is not where it can be kicked or disturbed, I vacuum the intakes to keep it free from dust, so yeah, I will break the whole thing down and set it up in front of a light so I can watch it run. Thank you folks.
posted by Oyéah at 3:40 PM on December 1, 2017

Usually with a noise like that I spank the fan-containing area of the case and it goes away. For a while.
posted by Dmenet at 4:12 PM on December 1, 2017

This thing has six fans, tried the concerted whack, no. It is like galloping, I will just take the whole thing apart, the spaghetti, the inconvenient location. Yup, and thanks to you all.
posted by Oyéah at 5:16 PM on December 1, 2017

Galloping sounds like a fan going bad.

Short, high pitched sounds could be a hard drive working hard, could be caused by software. Might be normal.
posted by H21 at 8:16 PM on December 1, 2017

OK Zotac right hand fan loose and making all the noise. I have to take it in somewhere for replacement. I did clean it though. Egads.
posted by Oyéah at 4:13 PM on December 2, 2017

« Older Programming a Honda key   |   Substitute for Quickbooks on my Mac for a very... Newer »