Free? Low-tech? That could be a "stretch"

Looking for a basic, yet thorough, stretching routine; non-dramatic functional fitness. Old-school may not be glamorous, but it suits just fine.

Target population:
Middle-aged
Sedentary (working on consistently getting to 10,000 steps a day)
Want to maintain flexibility, range of motion, and muscle tone in all major muscle groups for basic daily living

Here's what we can wholeheartedly embrace:
• up to 30 minutes per day; can alternate muscle groups
• a book/handout/checklist, maybe a video
• hand weights okay, also have some ankle weights
• low impact
• inexpensive props/aids/etc

And (at least for now) because the negative space can be equally informative:
• no gym or online memberships, or classes
• no expensive equipment
• no weekend warrior workouts
• no chronic cardio
• no yoga/pilates/similar
posted by dancing leaves to Health & Fitness (11 answers total) 29 users marked this as a favorite

Darebee stretching workouts. You can select the lower-intensity ones by selecting the appropriate difficulty option.
posted by Mr.Know-it-some at 12:24 PM on November 29, 2017 [1 favorite]

I like this routine I found on reddit:

He's developed a free app too, but that links to pictures of each stretch. I've found it's around a 20 minute routine for me, very basic and simple. Edit to add: The same guy has videos on youtube I think, but I just refer to the app or the pictures.
posted by liminal_shadows at 12:56 PM on November 29, 2017

Bob Anderson's book is considered the bible for this. Don't know how you feel about photocopying pages, etc but it's about as low-tech as you get. I like Darebee's stuff too.
posted by jessamyn at 1:46 PM on November 29, 2017

Molding Mobility and Starting Stretching
posted by fritillary at 2:17 PM on November 29, 2017

Absolutely, Stretching by Bob Anderson, as jessamyn recommended. Available on Amazon, at the library or at your nearest used book store (probably).
posted by Enid Lareg at 3:32 PM on November 29, 2017

I know you said 'no equipment,' but as a supplement to a full-on practice: foam rollers can be had for cheap and are potentially life-changing. Back, chest, shoulders, hips... incredibly versatile. You can get one for less than $10, often. Get a firm or extra-firm one.
posted by halation at 4:18 PM on November 29, 2017 [1 favorite]

liminal_shadows's link seems to be broken but I'm guessing they were going to link to a guide from this guy. I also found this image of the same routine with pictures (which you could print out). If you google "Phrakture stretching" you can find other visual guides for the same thing.
posted by jouir at 5:52 PM on November 29, 2017

I don't know how I found this guy, but JP Muller was a Danish gymnast that wrote a book of simple stretches and breathing techniques.
I bought "My System" on amazon years ago, but its just a poor photocopy of anything you can find online (its public work by now).
Here are a couple of the stretches.
posted by GreatValhalla at 7:51 AM on November 30, 2017

Richard Simmons' Sweatin' to the Oldies are good, if you're looking for stretching and a bit of a workout. Do as much or as little as you like. They sell for ~$10 per DVD, and there's 6 (I think), and you can find them via your library or inter library loans (Worldcat link to "Lonesome Dad Productions," the production company). It's low-impact aerobics, starts with a nice bit of stretching and works up, but you can do modified versions or skip songs if it's too much, and then there's a nice cool-down with more stretching. The original video is 45 minutes long, but that includes some intro and outro stuff, so it's about 30 minutes of exercising.
posted by filthy light thief at 9:01 AM on November 30, 2017

I know it's targeted to women, but if you can get over it, Kayla Itsine's BBG program is pretty incredible. PDFs are available online, or you can get an app. I do it with my partner and it's been a game changer. Very functional fitness oriented and easily adaptable to what you have at home.
posted by Marinara at 11:52 AM on November 30, 2017

ExRx.net is what you're looking for. It's a zero frills, exercise-science based website that lists out different exercises that targets different muscle groups with variations that use weights/bodyweights/cables/etc along with general guides on getting and staying fit.

I like it quite a bit more than the newer, prettier apps and workout guides particularly because it's at least somewhat convincingly giving you a reason as to why you're doing a particular move along with very specific advice on form (important if you're not a youngling anymore).
posted by runt at 7:14 AM on December 1, 2017 [1 favorite]

« Older Text etiquette: how do I respond when they don't...   |   Plants, lots of plants, lots of fields Newer »