Muffage Roughage

Seeking an easy recipe for very high-fibre tasty muffins.

Special ponies:

Hopefully no annoying steps, like soaking nutmeats or pureeing prunelets.
Would love to be able to toss ingredients together, throw in a Chopped Random Fruit for variety, and turn out a tray of something reasonably palatable.... with less than, say, 20 minutes of prep time.

I'm not concerned about fat or sugar content- both are fine.
Just want lotssss of fibre, and decent taste.
posted by pseudostrabismus to Food & Drink (9 answers total) 11 users marked this as a favorite

Any bran and applesauce muffin will be moist and tasty. Raisins are what is added most often, but you can add stewed apples, cranberreries, or other berries. It says use buttermilk but you can just use milk.
posted by DarlingBri at 1:31 PM on November 28, 2017

I often make this reliable recipe from Smitten Kitchen. I just made a batch with chopped apple and pear. I subbed half the flour with wholemeal, and omitted the sprinkled sugar on the fruit, and have no qualms eating them for breakfast!
posted by Naanwhal at 1:38 PM on November 28, 2017 [3 favorites]

On preview, Naanwhal beat me to it. That recipe is perfect and fits all your requirements.
posted by punchtothehead at 1:40 PM on November 28, 2017

These Superhero Muffins are amazing. I'm sure you could sub in bran or whole wheat flour for some of the almond flour if you wanted to mix things up a bit.
posted by ethorson at 1:48 PM on November 28, 2017

If you want a non-fruit option, I make these high fiber chocolate muffins for my kids and they are great and super easy. I use regular-fat dairy and that works fine. They also freeze great.
posted by LKWorking at 2:06 PM on November 28, 2017 [1 favorite]

A while back, my husband needed to add substantial fiber to his diet, and came up with a Mr. Wreck's Muffins for Wrecked People, which he made every few days for several months.
posted by ErisLordFreedom at 2:24 PM on November 28, 2017

The most basic of all muffins is pretty good fiber-wise. Beat together:
2 1/8 cup oatmeal
1 cup flour (whole wheat or plain)
1/3 cup sugar
1 TB baking powder
1 cup milk
1/4 cup oil
1 egg

Add 1 cup blueberries (or really any fruit; you can adjust sugar up for, say, raspberries, down for dried fruit, which might need a splash more milk too). Spoon into muffin tins. Mix together 1 TB sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon and sprinkle on top of unbaked muffins. Bake at 400 for 20ish minutes.
posted by theweasel at 2:40 PM on November 28, 2017 [1 favorite]

Add 1/4 cup or more of ground flax seed to any recipe and it will be the best thing ever.
posted by Enid Lareg at 3:45 PM on November 28, 2017

I use Mark Bittman's recipe as a guideline. I use whole wheat, add @ 1/2 c wheat bran, 1/2 can pumpkin, chopped apricots, chopped walnuts, and some spices, generally cinnamon and ginger. I don't eat dairy, so I use cider or orange juice instead of milk and 2 eggs because I add so much stuff, they can get heavy. You can bump up the bran. They are tasty, easy, and effective.
posted by theora55 at 7:08 PM on November 28, 2017

« Older Help Me Get Away for a Quick Winter Break   |   Eating vegetarian in Southeast Asia Newer »