Why Can't I Turn Off RTs Within a Twitter List?

I follow a Twitter account, which I've also added to a Twitter List. Even though I've turned the account's retweets off, viewing my list is full of their retweets. Is there any way to get around this?

The issue is duplicated across Bluebird, the official Twitter iPhone app, and third party apps, so I'm not hopeful, but maybe there's something I'm missing.
posted by Juliet Banana to Computers & Internet (3 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Lists are kind of weird, they don't seem to respect muted accounts either which is one of the main reasons why I don't use them very much anymore, so I suspect that whatever settings in the main timeline don't get carried over into lists. I assume this is because lists are supposedly public and anyone can follow a list and it just has the default timeline settings.
posted by TwoWordReview at 9:52 AM on November 27, 2017

Yeah, I haven't found a fix for this either. Even with private lists.

I use Tweetbot, which does allow for muting within lists, but it mutes everything, not just RTs. The cool part of Tweetbot is that you can set it to mute for only a specific amount of time and it will automatically unmute after a day or a week or whatever. (Or mute forever!)

You can also mute keywords, including all mentions of a keyword (quote tweets, etc.) for set amounts of time.
posted by purple_bird at 10:00 AM on November 27, 2017

You can turn off retweets for a list in TweetDeck.
posted by emeiji at 5:20 PM on November 27, 2017

« Older Screen dark on Dell Laptop   |   Weird, gentle, story-type games on Steam Newer »