Christmas(?) cookie ID: rolled up, filled, not a pinwheel?
November 25, 2017 9:45 AM   Subscribe

I have encountered this cookie on multiple cookie plates in Central NY. It kind of reminds me of a cross between a pinwheel cookie and a babka. I want to know what it is so I can make it myself!

Normally I'd just ask whoever made the cookies, but the platters they're found on are usually gifted by a third party. It's been almost a year since I last had one, but here's what I remember:

They seem to be made by rolling out a not-too-sweet, probably somewhat stretchy dough VERY THINLY, filling with either chocolate or date/nut mixture, rolling, slicing, baking once or maybe twice in the process.

Texture-wise, they are on the softer, doughy, dense side - not crisp or hard.

They are sliced fairly thickly.

They are not very sweet, which is why I love them.

They might be Italian or Italian-American in origin?

I could be conflating two types of cookies (chocolate and date) but if so, the two types are very similar.

They are NOT: pinwheel cookies, biscotti, or any kind of crisp/hard rolled wafer.

Cookie experts, assemble!
posted by Knicke to Food & Drink (11 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Some form of rugelach ?
posted by theweasel at 9:49 AM on November 25, 2017

Sounds a bit like rugelach to me.
posted by warriorqueen at 9:49 AM on November 25, 2017

Butting in to say that I have had rugelach, and they are a bit like rugelach, but not. :/
posted by Knicke at 9:57 AM on November 25, 2017

Maybe you're thinking of some variety of nut roll?
posted by corey flood at 10:04 AM on November 25, 2017

Okay, hear me out. I think the rugalah links above link to what most people think of when you say rugalah, but there is a different kind that is much cakier and dense. They look like smalller versions of this.
posted by Room 641-A at 10:20 AM on November 25, 2017 [3 favorites]

Kifli/Kifle/Kiflice?
posted by fedward at 10:27 AM on November 25, 2017

My bubbie agrees with Room 641-A.
posted by humboldt32 at 10:31 AM on November 25, 2017 [1 favorite]

Hello. I hail from Central New York and have a mom and aunts who make Italian cookie trays. Not rugelach. My mom makes a chocolate rolled cookie every year and it's one of my favorites. Directly from original grandma recipe (with some tweaking by me to make it make sense):

Chocolate Rolled Cookies

Dough:
3c flour
2/3 c shortening
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c milk
1 egg
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Mix all together as pie crust. Make 4 balls. Roll each long like a jelly roll on wax paper.

Filling:
2 pkgs chocolate chips
1 can "Red Cross milk - condensed"
1/2 c finely chopped walnuts

Melt chocolate chips and condensed milk over very low flame then mix in nuts. Cool slightly before spreading (on rolled out dough).

Bake at 350 for 30 mins. Cool. Slice and sprinkle with confectioner's sugar.

Here is another very similar recipe. My mom has done this kind of crust as well: http://www.thespicekitrecipes.com/chocolate-walnut-pinwheel-cookie/
posted by stefnet at 10:43 AM on November 25, 2017 [11 favorites]

Kifli is what I think of when you say "VERY THINLY" because the recipe I 'inherited' from my wife's family is rolled out paper thin. But I now realize you could also be talking about something like beigli, (previously on AskMe) which is thin but more cakey (also I feel like you would have mentioned the poppy seeds).

That said the rugelach suggestion could be not wrong, just regional. Lots of baked goods seem to shift a little or a lot when they cross borders.
posted by fedward at 10:46 AM on November 25, 2017

The only other thing that I'm wondering if you're thinking of is cucidati?
posted by stefnet at 10:49 AM on November 25, 2017

Pretty sure stefnet has got it. :) Thank you!!!!
posted by Knicke at 11:08 AM on November 25, 2017

« Older My Morning (Book) Jacket   |   Seed pod or alien life form? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.