A very strange CMS issue.

We are using an old CMS (soon to be retired) and something very odd is happening that I can’t get my head around.

This week a new user was set up on the CMS and they do not have all the standard features on their editing panel when they log into their account (via a browser) from their Mac.

But when they log in on a PC it’s totally fine – all the editing panel features are there. We tested it on 3 PCs – all fine. It just the Mac. It happens on all browsers when on the Mac too.

Why on earth could the same exact account show different features on different computers? I am going to ask support to be sure, I am just so so curious about why something like this could happen. I fear it will keep me up. It's just so bizarre.
posted by Lescha to Computers & Internet (10 answers total)

Are they using the same browser on PC and Mac? Our CMS only works properly in certain browsers, and also fails if it's an older browser.
posted by rednikki at 2:51 PM on November 22, 2017

If they are already using an up to date browser, you may also want to suggest they clear their cache.
posted by prewar lemonade at 3:14 PM on November 22, 2017

This is me at work - I use a Mac and have to hop on a PC if I want to use some SharePoint features or look up coworkers in the online phone directory. It's not unusual to me.
posted by Calzephyr at 3:29 PM on November 22, 2017

Does the CMS use Flash or any browser plugins not present on the Mac? Does the Mac have an abnormally narrow screen that's forcing some kind of mobile view? What browsers did you try on Mac? Did you try spoofing the operating system in any of the browsers on the Mac?
posted by paulcole at 3:29 PM on November 22, 2017

Do the editor functions require Java? Apple removed Java from browsers a few years ago.
posted by Candleman at 3:31 PM on November 22, 2017 [1 favorite]

What CMS is it?
posted by limeonaire at 3:41 PM on November 22, 2017

What happens if you login to the CMS using your account but from her Mac?
posted by duoshao at 4:13 PM on November 22, 2017 [2 favorites]

The CMS is Plone. Will try your helpful suggestions tomorrow!
posted by Lescha at 6:21 PM on November 22, 2017

Why on earth could the same exact account show different features on different computers? I am going to ask support to be sure, I am just so so curious about why something like this could happen.

Quite possibly because either the CMS itself, or some script it sends as part of the pages it constructs, is doing compatibility tests to find out what browser is in use and adapting the generated content accordingly.

This kind of design is pretty common, and the older the CMS compared to the browsers that access it, the more likely it is to cause trouble.
posted by flabdablet at 6:35 AM on November 23, 2017

Also, Plone is insanely overcomplicated for what it does. It's an absolute Rube Goldberg machine. I am not at all surprised to hear that an old Plone is breaking on new browsers.
posted by flabdablet at 6:36 AM on November 23, 2017

« Older Looking for a recording of a specific WW2 news...   |   Where did I read this odd anecdote about JFK's... Newer »