More stuff like ‘traffic cones of Japan’ and ‘Brooms of China’ please!

I love collections of photos that document the ordinary parts of everyday life in other places, like traffic cones in Japan. I’m not really looking for art and cultural examples, like the masks of Mexico, but a collection of the baguette delivery boxes of Moorea would awesome. Please share similar web sites, instagram, anything else not requiring a log in that you enjoy!
posted by Room 641-A to Grab Bag (22 answers total) 32 users marked this as a favorite

Bike crates of Amsterdam, perhaps?
posted by humboldt32 at 11:53 AM on November 21, 2017 [2 favorites]

I have some Tokyo examples you might like.

路上園芸 (rojou engei, "roadside gardening") is one of my favourites. Japan has a lot of buildings that are built very close to the street, but people still tend gardens and greenery in the very narrow setbacks or even on the street. The 路上園芸 hashtag is fairly active, and this Twitter account (The Roadside Gardening Society, loosely translated) is a must follow. This great Flickr album of 路上園芸 is probably the place to start.

This photographer on Flickr is fantastic at documenting everyday aspects of Tokyo and very prolific, although she goes a bit overboard with the HDR sometimes. Here's an album with 355 photos of outdoor staircases that is more interesting than it has any right to be. They take a lot of shots of dense but peaceful residential neighbourhoods with small lots and narrow streets – one of those things that is common in Japan but not so much in the West.
posted by ripley_ at 11:57 AM on November 21, 2017 [5 favorites]

You know what's beautiful? Manhole cover designs.

I originally went looking for ones from North Carolina - no dedicated page for them, but GIS is revealing.

I did find pages for-
NYC
Japan
A selection from around the world

...and now I have to stop looking because work, but wow there are even more awesome manhole covers than I imagined! This is just the tip of the iceberg.
posted by showbiz_liz at 11:59 AM on November 21, 2017 [3 favorites]

More manhole covers. Even more. Also coal holes.

I don't suppose air sickness bags are really ordinary parts of everyday life, but I love that people collect them.

Doors of Rome are fun to browse.
posted by hades at 12:19 PM on November 21, 2017

(Somewhat disturbing shots of) Russian playgrounds
posted by Mchelly at 12:21 PM on November 21, 2017 [1 favorite]

Soviet-era bus stops.
posted by theodolite at 12:24 PM on November 21, 2017 [3 favorites]

Shrines
posted by MovableBookLady at 1:03 PM on November 21, 2017

Oh man. This thread came too soon. I've been doing my due diligence over the past week plotting out locations of the remaining PBR/Old Style/Blatz/Etc... tavern name signs that just about every bar in Wisconsin seemed to have had back in the 70s. But I haven't actually started photographing them yet.

Expect a reply to this thread in a few months.
posted by kpraslowicz at 1:21 PM on November 21, 2017 [3 favorites]

How about Couches of Portland?
posted by hydra77 at 1:22 PM on November 21, 2017

Stray cats of Jerusalem
posted by Mchelly at 1:44 PM on November 21, 2017

The Holotypic Occlupanid Research Group has a bunch of photos of bread bag clips.
posted by nebulawindphone at 1:53 PM on November 21, 2017 [2 favorites]

drainspotting, more elaborate japanese manhole covers.
posted by koroshiya at 1:54 PM on November 21, 2017

Coffee cup lids.
posted by yeahlikethat at 2:45 PM on November 21, 2017 [1 favorite]

https://twitter.com/archillect
(and associated sources)
posted by sebastienbailard at 2:48 PM on November 21, 2017

A lot to explore here.
posted by davebush at 4:45 PM on November 21, 2017

Ooh, baguette delivery boxes are a thing in France too, so someone ought to have collected a few of those. (I love this thread.)
posted by lokta at 12:07 AM on November 22, 2017

AFAR magazine does a spread like this in each issue.

Subway Stations
Matchbooks
Coins
Tile
Magnets
Buses
posted by gennessee at 4:34 AM on November 22, 2017

Bollards of London
posted by *becca* at 10:19 AM on November 22, 2017

Very belated but just saw this and thought of your post. Windows of Portugal: https://mymodernmet.com/andre-goncalves-windows-of-the-world-portuguese-windows/
posted by hellomiss at 3:56 AM on December 8, 2017

"Expect a reply to this thread in a few months."

As Promised
posted by kpraslowicz at 5:46 PM on October 15, 2018

« Older Record digital video without distortion?   |   Seamed hose for thick-legged women Newer »