Getting sharp images on LinkedIn profile media

I am trying to add media to my LinkedIn profile. I'm struggling to get the cover images to display nicely. What do I need to do?

For links that don't have featured images and audio files, I can't find a way to have an image at all. I could try hosting the content on my own site and defining a featured image, but I am not sure if there's a better way.

I'm primarily using PDFs for visual content. While the uploaded material is fine once I click through, the cover image tends to be blurry, and I can't figure out how I need to change it in order to have a crisp-looking image.
posted by philosophygeek to Computers & Internet (3 answers total)

It's a little unclear what you're asking - how to link to media, or how to render a photo properly, or both?

As for the image part of your question: according to this site, the image needs to be set at 1584 pixels wide by 396 high.

Your pdf may look good, but once it's rendered by LinkedIn and uploaded, it may not have enough pixels. Take the pdf into one of the programs recommended by that site above, and you can see how many pixels you're actually working with. Beware that the program may allow you to increase the pixel count, but that may not actually make the image sharper. You're better off starting with an image that's much larger to begin with.
posted by hydra77 at 10:35 AM on November 9, 2017

I'll be more explicit about the situations:

1) I am adding a link to a webpage. In LinkedIn, the media entry appears as a placeholder image, presumably because the webpage does not have a featured image defined in the page content. I'd like to have an image appear in LinkedIn.

2) I am adding a link to an audio file. Again, LI's media entry appears as a placeholder. I'd like to have an image appear.

3) I have a PDF that I upload to LinkedIn. The PDF is 8.5" wide by 11" high, The media entry appears as a blurry image. It seems to be a clipped version of the first page - there is definitely content excluded from all four sides. It also appears blurry, which seems odd because there are pixels available in the original data that are clearly not being used (viz., the ones that are excluded). I'd like to have the cover appear crisply. It would be even better if I could define what part of the first page was used.
posted by philosophygeek at 8:42 PM on November 9, 2017

Hey, Philosophygeek. Did you ever figure out how to improve the image quality of a PDF thumbnail on the LinkedIn Profile page? If so, I would love to hear about it. I'm really picky about how my professional materials look, and I am frustrated with the blurry/crappy thumbnail that appears in the LI profile page after I upload a PDF file. I have been unable to find a fix for this after a bit of research. Please help if you can.

Thanks.

Ed
posted by emelick at 9:44 AM on July 28, 2018

« Older What scale for weighing my cat?   |   Software development jobs overseas for... Newer »