Noise cancellation ear plugs / headphones?

I often have to work in a space with small kids nearby - looking for noise cancellation recommendations to drown out their racket.
posted by ryanshepard to Shopping (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

It's not what you want to hear (heh), but noise cancelling won't do much here; because of the way it works, it helps a lot with constant noises but not with short, sudden and always changing noises such as children manage to produce most of the time.
posted by Too-Ticky at 5:51 AM on November 5, 2017 [1 favorite]

You might find useful answers in the responses to my recent question. I’m super sensitive to high pitched voices and I’ve [sadly] come to realize that I will never successfully block kids’ screeches, squeals and screaming. I’m sorry.
posted by carmicha at 6:30 AM on November 5, 2017

For whatever reason, the moldable silicone earplugs (sometimes used for swimming) block high-pitched noises best for me. Even in-ear headphones come up short, and as noted, active noise canceling won’t do much at all.
posted by supercres at 6:36 AM on November 5, 2017 [1 favorite]

When I need to block out distracting co-workers I use a white noise app on my phone. The one I use is for Android and is called "white noise plus".
posted by sevenyearlurk at 7:05 AM on November 5, 2017

You might find a passive ear plugs with built in head phones useful (Plugfones, 3M version). I haven't used them to block out screeching but they work well to first mute ambient construction noise and then overpower what gets through with something less objectionable. And foam plugs actually work better against high pitches than low.

However if you have to interact with people they'll block out regular talking too.

I've also used in ear headphones under a set of noise reduction cans to similar effect. The plug phones were more comfortable.
posted by Mitheral at 7:06 AM on November 5, 2017

Years ago I had an audiologist create custom molded earplugs that I could wear during loud concerts. I don't remember now what db reduction they provided, but I couldn't really hear people talking next to me with them in. I could comfortably wear them for several hours. If you also want to listen to audio, you can get them made as "in-ear monitors" (custom molded in ear monitors).

Another option would be to use noise reduction/protection ear muffs (noise protection ear muffs), like you see at airports or other loud venues. Again, if you want audio, you can get them with speakers. Drummers use these all the time (drummer isolation headphones).

I bet you one of these will work for you. Active noise cancelling headphones won't, however.
posted by Pig Tail Orchestra at 7:28 AM on November 5, 2017

Go with Noise Isolating headphones or earphones. These are the ones i got and I couldn't be happier. They are hard to put on and take off in comparison to others but nothing blocks out the noise like these ones.
posted by iNfo.Pump at 6:32 PM on November 5, 2017

« Older Movies with long, realistic scenes of...   |   Teaching sullen 15 year olds Newer »