Book suggestions about the labor movement?

I've been on a reading spree* trying to understand the American origins and recent political consequences of libertarianism/free market fundamentalism, and much of the earlier history seems to involve a reaction to either the labor movement or the New Deal. I'd like some reading suggestions on either of those histories.

*my reading spree has included: Invisible Hands, Dark Money, Brief History of Neoliberalism, Democracy In Chains, One Nation Under God, and The Great Suppression. I'm interested in more suggestions along these lines as well.
posted by girl Mark to Human Relations (9 answers total) 11 users marked this as a favorite

I really enjoyed There is Power in a Union.
posted by miltthetank at 11:49 AM on November 1, 2017

Forgot to mention that I mostly read audiobooks, so bonus points if anything recent is available as audio.
posted by girl Mark at 11:51 AM on November 1, 2017

For good insight into how the New Deal codified some pretty discriminatory practices, When Affirmative Action was White, is a good start.
posted by teleri025 at 12:23 PM on November 1, 2017

Thomas Geoghegan's Which Side Are You On? Trying To Be For Labor When It's Flat On Its Back, is wonderful. Mostly about the decline of the labor movement in the eighties, but it's a very readable starting point to build understanding from.
posted by LizardBreath at 12:59 PM on November 1, 2017

I haven't read it but I have heard good things about "Insurgent Democracy: The Nonpartisan League in North American Politics", which isn't specifically labor or union, but a populist movement popular among farmers, laborers, socialists and communists in the Midwest during the early 20th century.
posted by AzraelBrown at 2:30 PM on November 1, 2017

State of the Union A Century of American Labor
posted by bigplugin at 4:45 PM on November 1, 2017

Making a New Deal: Industrial Workers in Chicago, 1919–1939 by Lizabeth Cohen
posted by Hop123 at 4:58 PM on November 1, 2017

I've been wanting to get a copy of Silk Stockings and Socialism. I also want a poster of the union logo.
posted by sepviva at 7:11 PM on November 3, 2017

Thanks for the When Affirmative Action Was White recommendation, it was excellent!
posted by girl Mark at 10:01 AM on November 8, 2017 [1 favorite]

« Older Toolkit Talk: Need to Fix Light Source for Photo...   |   NYC Plumber and A/C Repair Recommendations? Newer »