Ink Pads for Stamping Currency?
October 28, 2017 2:31 PM   Subscribe

I would like to stamp $20 bills with Harriet Tubman's face. What kind of ink pad should I use?

Also, this is legal, right?
posted by anonymous to Grab Bag (6 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
Legal? This other political campaign claims so.
posted by blob at 2:46 PM on October 28, 2017 [1 favorite]

I have a Where's George stamp, and I've used it with utterly bog-standard Office Depot cheapo felt pads, pigment pads, dye pads...

That said, the best inkpads I know are Tsukineko StāzOn.
posted by jackbishop at 3:23 PM on October 28, 2017 [2 favorites]

A question at, Is it illegal to deface money? My reading of this issue is, only if your purpose is to change the bill's value. The legal term for this, if you want to learn more about it, is currency mutilation.
posted by Rash at 4:30 PM on October 28, 2017 [1 favorite]

Damn, I had this thought, too! MeMail me if you are interested in having anyone assist you with this project.
posted by nightrecordings at 5:10 PM on October 28, 2017

The laws webpage for the U.S. Bureau of Engraving and Printing seems to imply that as long as you don't cause the bill to be removed from circulation you're fine.
posted by rakaidan at 5:56 PM on October 28, 2017 [1 favorite]

This woman on Etsy is not only selling a Harriet Tubman rubber stamp, but also Silhouette Ink for $3 - it states it’s a high quality ink that you apply to the stamp (specifically Silhouette Mint stamps) by allowing it to absorb for 10 minutes, and then you can stamp about 50 times before it requires re-inking. Seems like it will leave a clearer image and last longer.
posted by nightrecordings at 11:07 AM on October 29, 2017 [2 favorites]

« Older improv for diverse humans   |   Some kind of private group chat messager thingy... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.