Light me up!

I'm looking for bike wheel lights, but I'm bewildered by the choices.

As the days get shorter, it's that time of year again to think about cycling visibility. I commute (anywhere from 5-10 miles/day) and do enough riding early and late that I really want to be as visible as possible. I use Light & Motion lights front and rear, and those throw off decent (amber) light to the sides as well as ahead/behind, but I keep seeing people with wheel lights and can't help but think that'd be a good idea as well.

At this point I think Revolights are a bit out of my budget, but there are a ton of options out there and I would love to hear what you've used that you like and that works well.

SHOULD BE:
- easy to install
- powered by USB charging, or rechargeable batteries
- unobtrusive
- bright
- $50-75ish
posted by pdb to Travel & Transportation (4 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite

Through empirical observation at Burning Man I am pretty sure that Wheel Brightz are the brightest and most visible cheap option. I run mine of of AA rechargables and in over a year I haven't had to recharge them yet.
posted by phoenixy at 1:31 PM on October 10, 2017

From almost exactly a year ago (when, coincidentally, it was also getting darker): Cause...you...light up my bike...
posted by Mr.Know-it-some at 1:31 PM on October 10, 2017

Have you looked at MonkeyLights?

Their 32-bit full-color product is only like $60. Now, they're a little sillier than plain-lights, but IMV that's a feature, not a bug.

I have an older version of their product on my utility bike. There's a AA container (I use rechargeable Eneloops) that attaches to the wheel hub, and the light board is zipped to your spokes. Once in, it's in.
posted by uberchet at 1:34 PM on October 10, 2017

I've got some MonkeyLights on my front wheel and I love them. They are quite bright and the batteries last a long time (I too put rechargeable batteries in it). I am always slightly worried that a cop will give me a ticket for the light not being the right colour but it hasn't happened yet.
posted by any portmanteau in a storm at 4:01 PM on October 10, 2017

« Older Drummer needs portable stu-stu-studio   |   Moving back to Mid-West...alternatives to Chicago? Newer »