I need an artichoke dipping sauce that isn't tons of butter or oil

Don't get me wrong, I love butter. But I'd like an artichoke dipping sauce that isn't based on butter or oil, that doesn't overwhelm the mild flavor of the artichokes. This is for steamed artichokes, not marinated or grilled. There are a couple snowflakes involved.

Some fat is fine, I just would like it to be a mere component rather than the base.

I tried a dill yogurt sauce once and didn't really care for it, although it was pretty basic and maybe I just needed a better recipe.

Snowflakes: I don't have the skill or technology to make a decent emulsion. Corn and corn products are off the table due to allergies - no corn, corn oil, corn starch, distilled vinegar, baking powder etc. This takes most pre-made mayonnaises off the list.

I'm considering something revolving around a balsamic reduction, but I'm afraid that will overpower the artichokes.

Any suggestions? I've found some amazing recipes and cooking help on AskMe (seriously, follow taz's suggestion in a thread about dill, it's incredible!), so I'm hoping y'all will expand my dipping horizons.
posted by under_petticoat_rule to Food & Drink (22 answers total) 12 users marked this as a favorite

Sour cream or full fat plain yogurt with just enough balsamic vinegar and a touch of salt.
posted by phunniemee at 1:12 PM on September 26, 2017 [3 favorites]

Smashed avocado thinned with lemon juice and water/broth. Add salt and some sumac.
posted by songs_about_rainbows at 1:26 PM on September 26, 2017 [4 favorites]

Maybe lemon, salt and fresh dill mixed into Greek yogurt?
posted by slateyness at 1:34 PM on September 26, 2017 [1 favorite]

Our family artichoke sauce is a lemon curry mayo; the mayo could probably be mixed with replaced by a greek yogurt if so desired. Dollop the right amount of mayo in a bowl, then whisk in lemon juice to a thin consistency -- it should still coat the back of a spoon. Add curry powder. Dip. Devour.

ahhhhhhhh i want artichokes right now
posted by emkelley at 1:41 PM on September 26, 2017 [7 favorites]

why not make a barigoule? It's its own sauce.
posted by JPD at 2:10 PM on September 26, 2017

I don't have the skill or technology to make a decent emulsion.

Just FYI, a second-grader can make an emulsion if all you're trying to do is make one that will be eaten within a short time. Literally, you can do it with a fork or a hand-beater. That's how people make salad dressing. Emulsions are only a problem if you need them to last or to look pretty.

You can infuse Greek yogurt with garlic by merely smashing the garlic and mixing the smashed cloves in before letting it sit for a bit. You can fish them out before eating if you're afraid you'll accidentally bite into one.
posted by praemunire at 2:28 PM on September 26, 2017

I just checked the ingredients for fabanaise and I don't seen anything that looks like it could be corn-derived, so that would open up a whole world of aiolis. I'm fond of fabanaise with microplaned garlic, lemon and salt, but you could easily add herbs or other flavorings.
posted by snaw at 2:47 PM on September 26, 2017

How about a roasted red bell pepper sauce? The tanginess and smoky flavor of the peppers would contrast nicely with the slight sweetness of the artichoke without being too harsh or acidic. Adding a bit of olive oil or mayonnaise would help give it a smoother texture.
posted by 4rtemis at 3:08 PM on September 26, 2017

Just don't let this happen to you.
posted by Dressed to Kill at 3:12 PM on September 26, 2017 [6 favorites]

Whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, and salt. Roughly 2:1 oil:lemon, I'd say, with salt to your taste. You could totally add dill as well, but I had it just like this last week and it was great.
posted by snorkmaiden at 3:38 PM on September 26, 2017 [3 favorites]

Well, it looks like we'll have a dipping sauce sampler tonight! Thanks everyone. I'd love to hear more ideas for the future.

JPD - I've done something similar with baby artichokes. The ones for tonight are monsters, and I'd have to trim too much off to fit them in any of my pans.

praemunire - I don't think I can get a second-grader on such short notice.

snaw - it contains distilled vinegar, bane of my existence.

Dressed to Kill - Oh, stuff like that happens to me, but I just slide it quietly into the trash instead of, you know, forcing people to eat it on national TV!
posted by under_petticoat_rule at 4:03 PM on September 26, 2017 [3 favorites]

I'm late to the party, but my favorite non-butter one so far has been saffron mayonnaise. The flavors of saffron and artichoke are wonderful together.
posted by centrifugal at 4:15 PM on September 26, 2017

Lemon tahini dressing.

You can make mayo in two minutes with a stick blender and any safe oil and vinegar (if there is such a thing, I didn't realize distilled vinegar was corn based but possibly rice or cane vinegar?). Just make sure the stick blender stays on the bottom of the cup until the emulsion forms and voila.
posted by Lyn Never at 5:11 PM on September 26, 2017 [3 favorites]

If you want something super light, you can try using rice vinegar. I love it on all kinds of veggies.
posted by Serene Empress Dork at 5:33 PM on September 26, 2017

Bring malt vinegar to a simmer, place whole thyme twigs and sliced garlic cloves in to steep for five minutes, then chill overnight. Strain and serve, or whisk with olive oil for more body.
posted by Mizu at 5:42 PM on September 26, 2017

Mayonnaise with garlic and lemon to taste, or, aioli?

Sorry if I’m being dumb.
posted by A Terrible Llama at 6:11 PM on September 26, 2017

I grew up with vinegrette: any vinegar or lemon juice, any oil, some orange juice for sweetness, salt, pepper... a bit of mustard?
Alternatively, my brother always uses grated Parmesan.
posted by Valancy Rachel at 6:21 PM on September 26, 2017

Mild hummus is good with artichokes.
posted by Red Desk at 7:42 PM on September 26, 2017

Start with the homemade mayo recipe suggested by Lyn Never. I use avocado oil and add rice wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, or lemon juice as my acids. For artichoke, I prefer lemon. To make the artichoke dip, place some of that mayo in a small bowl. Mix in more lemon juice, a clove or two of fresh pressed garlic, and copious amounts of dried dill. And a bit of salt and pepper. You will not be disappointed. I promise.
posted by ms_rasclark at 8:27 PM on September 26, 2017

Avocado oil mayo.

Ingredients:Avocado Oil, Organic Cage-Free Eggs, Organic Egg Yolks, Organic Vinegar, Sea Salt, Rosemary Extract.
posted by mcbeth at 9:16 PM on September 26, 2017 [1 favorite]

I just bought my first bottle of Japanese Mayo (Kewpie brand) and am never going back.
Once I tasted it, my first thought was to use it for steamed artichokes, I rarely eat them with a sauce but this seems to be made for it.
(I suspect the little squiggle of sauce on top of sushi is this Japanese Mayo)
posted by IpsoFacto at 11:42 AM on September 27, 2017

Hi everybody, I just wanted to thank you all for posting so many recipes! Under_petticoat_rule was making this for me, and last night we had a spectacularly delicious smorgasbord of dipping sauces. And yet, wow, so many more that we have yet to try!

Alas, mcbeth, if it says just "vinegar" then it's distilled vinegar, and in the US all vinegar is distilled from corn. Distilled vinegar goes under a number of aliases, including "white vinegar" and "vinegar." Kensington's used to use strictly apple cider vinegar and were my most beloved brand. They switched to distilled across the brand (about the time they received that big investment from Verlinvest, I think) - sadly, I'd gotten so used to buying them that I learned this the hard way! I wish they'd switch back to cider vinegar so I could buy them again, because I loved loved loved them.
posted by rednikki at 12:04 PM on September 27, 2017

« Older Help me find a funeral dress   |   Endocrinologist / thyroid specialist in Singapore? Newer »