What movies/TV shows have somebody saying "wake up"?
September 19, 2017 3:43 PM   Subscribe

I'd like to find movies and television episodes where somebody says "wake up," or something idiomatically similar ("rise and shine," "wakey wakey," "get up," etc.). Ideally with links to clips of that moment in the movie or TV show. This is for an audio project, so "interpretive" wake-ups (silent films with title cards, animals making noises to wake each other up, foreign languages) are delightful but don't serve my purpose: hoping for clear, English-language "wake up" spoken clips.
posted by Shepherd to Media & Arts (58 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite

Is a stand-up routine OK? Dylan Moran (starts at 8s, if the embed doesn't work) this is my morning alarm
posted by btfreek at 3:50 PM on September 19, 2017 [2 favorites]

Budd taunts The Bride with "wakey wakey, eggs and bac-ey" just before attempting to bury her alive in Kill Bill.

the video quality of this youtube clip is garbage, but you just need the audio, right?
posted by The demon that lives in the air at 3:56 PM on September 19, 2017 [4 favorites]

What about music? There's the scene at the end of the Matrix where RATM's "Wake Up" plays, and the titular lyrics can be heard.

And if music videos are ok, there are a ton of possibilities.
posted by kevinbelt at 3:57 PM on September 19, 2017

Vanilla Sky and the Futurama episode The Sting both have people telling someone else to wake up.
posted by ftm at 3:57 PM on September 19, 2017 [7 favorites]

Clock radio scene from Groundhog Day?
posted by Naanwhal at 4:00 PM on September 19, 2017 [5 favorites]

This 'Full Metal Jacket' clip features "Reveille, reveille, reveille! Drop your cocks and grab your socks!" at its beginning, with a little trash can drumming to go with it.
posted by mr. digits at 4:04 PM on September 19, 2017 [2 favorites]

YES the beginning of one of my favorite movies - What We Do in the Shadows
AVAKEN! Avakey vakey!
posted by blueberrypuffin at 4:05 PM on September 19, 2017 [4 favorites]

The end of School Daze.
posted by OrderOctopoda at 4:09 PM on September 19, 2017 [2 favorites]

Sealab 2021 (2000) s01e08 Episode Script
Waking Quinn

Quinn! Check this out, guy! Whoa, whoa, whoa! Stormy, is that a hairdryer? Man, be careful! What?? I can't hear you!! This awesome new hairdryer is way too loud!! Hey! Idiot! That's really dangerous!! Yeah, it's got a diffuser.
It's pro-grade, dude! Get away from here!! I'm in a pool!! Of water!! Can't you see that?? Oh yeah, you can see it! No no no!! No!! - Here! Dooooooooon't!! Quinn? Quinner? Wake up.
Wake up.
Wake up! Hey, wake up!
Whaaat? Well.
posted by mnop at 4:09 PM on September 19, 2017

Also, the scene in Breakfast Club when everyone falls asleep and Mr. Vernon yells "wake up!"
Unfortunately the only clip I could find is in dissatisfyingly in french.
posted by blueberrypuffin at 4:11 PM on September 19, 2017

The morning chat show that Danny Tanner and Aunt Becky co-hosted on Full House was called "Wake Up San Francisco!" and had an earworm of an opening stinger that was played on the show scores of times.
posted by Ufez Jones at 4:12 PM on September 19, 2017 [1 favorite]

another music reference: XTC's "Wake Up".
posted by carterk at 4:14 PM on September 19, 2017

Just to clarify... not really looking for music, just people saying/shouting/speaking "wake up," etc. Thanks, though!
posted by Shepherd at 4:21 PM on September 19, 2017

if video games count, portal 2 begins with, "good morning! you have been in suspension for 50 days!".
posted by koroshiya at 4:22 PM on September 19, 2017

Kate Bush's _Waking the Witch_ starts with a superposition of "wake up", and the music has hardly started.
posted by clew at 4:27 PM on September 19, 2017 [2 favorites]

Matthew Lillard yells "please wake up!" in this scene from SLC Punk! at around 1:18 minutes in.
posted by hexenkunst at 4:28 PM on September 19, 2017 [1 favorite]

Donnie Darko.
posted by lovableiago at 4:28 PM on September 19, 2017 [1 favorite]

Another video game reference, but: "Wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and... smell the ashes," from Half-Life 2.
posted by Sequence at 4:33 PM on September 19, 2017

In Sister Act, the shy nun gives Whoopi Goldberg a little talking flower alarm clock that says "Outta bed you daisy head".
posted by pseudostrabismus at 4:37 PM on September 19, 2017 [2 favorites]

Charlie the unicorn is told to wake up to go to Candy Mountain at the beginning of the clip.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_yJCNNwHUOE
posted by Sassyfras at 4:37 PM on September 19, 2017

Also - Darla yells "wake up" at Nemo.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3L8GFScNv5o
posted by Sassyfras at 4:38 PM on September 19, 2017 [1 favorite]

Blade Runner. "Wake up! Time to die."
posted by obiwanwasabi at 4:44 PM on September 19, 2017 [1 favorite]

I can never find a clip of it anywhere (I've looked and looked because I want it as an alarm tone on my phone) but there's a Popeye cartoon called Ballet de Spinach or something like that where both Olive Oyl and Popeye say "Wake up, little rosebud, wake up!" That line has lived with me since childhood.
posted by patheral at 4:47 PM on September 19, 2017

Yarn.io is a searchable database of movie and TV dialogue and it has pages of examples, from Seinfeld to Logan's Run.
posted by Room 641-A at 4:56 PM on September 19, 2017 [5 favorites]

In What's Eating Gilbert Grape, there's a scene where Arnie repeatedly says/screams, "Wake up, Mama!"

This one may be too much in the music category, but there's a spoken word portion on the song released by Pope Francis (yes, the Pope) where he says, "Wake up."
(I haven't heard the entire actual song; just heard a clip referenced on a news discussion show.)
posted by Sockin'inthefreeworld at 5:00 PM on September 19, 2017

Amanda Wingfield in the Glass Menagerie is well known for her irritating "rise and shine."

You can see a clip here.
posted by brookeb at 5:09 PM on September 19, 2017 [1 favorite]

Simba waking his dad
posted by Orca at 5:16 PM on September 19, 2017 [1 favorite]

I remember hearing Hugh Laurie on House MD say the wakey wakey line more than once, but I don't have episodes. Maybe someone else does?
posted by pangolin party at 5:17 PM on September 19, 2017

At the end of The Wizard of Oz, Auntie Em says, "Wake up, honey" as Dorothy is murmuring "There's no place like home."
posted by elphaba at 5:31 PM on September 19, 2017 [1 favorite]

Also, the Munchkins sing "wake up you sleepyheads" in "Ding Dong, the Witch is Dead."
posted by elphaba at 5:34 PM on September 19, 2017 [1 favorite]

the little dragon says something like wakey wakey eggs and bacey to Mulan when she starts her first day of training camp.
posted by wym at 5:59 PM on September 19, 2017 [1 favorite]

The Little Mermaid
posted by leeloo minai at 6:17 PM on September 19, 2017

Morning Is Here by Joey Tribbiani and neighbor.
posted by padraigin at 6:25 PM on September 19, 2017

Here's the Mulan clip.
posted by leeloo minai at 6:28 PM on September 19, 2017

Madagascar

Flintstones
posted by leeloo minai at 6:38 PM on September 19, 2017

Also, the lovely Rupert Graves says "Wakey, wakey!" very cheerfully at about 53:49 of episode 2 of season 3 of Sherlock, but I can't seem to find it online.
posted by praemunire at 6:39 PM on September 19, 2017

My Name Is Earl often has Earl saying "wakey, wakey".
posted by coldhotel at 6:50 PM on September 19, 2017 [1 favorite]

There's a scene in The Fifth Element where Bruce Willis is trying to wake Ian Holm up after Holm has fainted or been knocked out by slapping his face and saying "Wake up" in a really funny way, but I can't find the scene on YouTube.
posted by under_petticoat_rule at 6:55 PM on September 19, 2017 [1 favorite]

Two from the Matrix:

Get Up, Trinity. GET UP.

Wake up, Neo...

And I'll add, from Jawbreaker's Save Your Generation:

I have a message
Save your generation
We're killing each other
By sleeping in

(yeah, I was in Chicago on Sunday)
posted by intermod at 7:07 PM on September 19, 2017 [1 favorite]

Twin Peaks, season 3, episode 6, Mike says "you have to wake up!" This season also deals heavily with the idea of sleeping/waking up.

Cite for the quote:via EW
posted by samthemander at 7:39 PM on September 19, 2017

Mulholland Drive - Betty tells Rita to wake up, and The Cowboy tells Betty to wake up at 1:43 and 1:54 respectively on the DVD.
posted by Multicellular Exothermic at 8:51 PM on September 19, 2017

Squidward
posted by Vispa Teresa at 9:06 PM on September 19, 2017

Edward Scissorhands "He didn't wake up."
At 18:08 appx.
posted by Mister Moofoo at 12:37 AM on September 20, 2017

The first line of Pretty in Pink is "Daddy, wake up, it's 7:30."

Also you said no music, but in "Waking the Witch" by Kate Bush, there are several samples of people speaking "wake up," "You must wake up," and more. Give it a try.
posted by mermaidcafe at 4:30 AM on September 20, 2017 [1 favorite]

British band leader Billy Cotton used to start every show by yelling "Wakey wakey!" He shouts it in the opening seconds of this video for example.
posted by yankeefog at 8:10 AM on September 20, 2017

I can't find video online so I have no time stamp but in the first few minutes of Miller's Crossing there's the following exchange:

TAD: Wake up, Tommy.
TOM [without opening his eyes]: I'm awake.
TAD: Your eyes are shut.
TOM: Who you gonna believe?
posted by komara at 12:27 PM on September 20, 2017

GET UP, SULLY! - Monsters, Inc

Wake up! Wake up! First day of school! - Finding Nemo

Get up! Let's go! Let's go! - Finding Nemo
posted by hanov3r at 1:03 PM on September 20, 2017

Are commercials ok? The beginning of this Tom Peterson commercial has the iconic "Wake up! Wake up!" while he bangs on the tv screen.
posted by outfielder at 1:10 PM on September 20, 2017

Hey professor! Rise and shine! - The Great Race
posted by curiousgene at 2:42 PM on September 20, 2017

Ernie singing Wake Up to Bert.
posted by brookeb at 3:13 PM on September 20, 2017

Wet Hot American Summer
posted by enfa at 3:44 PM on September 20, 2017

Richard Linklater's Waking Life has it about a million times and million ways, by a pretty varied cast... including the director himself, in the next to last scene.
posted by 1f2frfbf at 4:41 PM on September 20, 2017

There's actually a Twilight Zone episode where a main plot point is a man hearing many different repetitions of "Wake Up!" (mostly very loud, threatening and sinister-sounding orders).

It's "The Pool Guy," one of the only good episodes in the bizarre 2002 single-season Twilight Zone revival.
posted by kalapierson at 4:48 AM on September 21, 2017

Thank you, everybody! My wife just started hosting a morning show on the local campus-community radio station (Indie Morning Wake-Up Call), and asked if I'd record a theme song for her. I have no musical talent, but I do have Reaper and loops!
posted by Shepherd at 4:43 PM on September 21, 2017 [2 favorites]

« Older Dog Losing Weight and Other Symptoms   |   Am I missing a joke from "Toast of London" or is... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.