Advice for protecting against cybercrime (especially for women)

What advice can I give for protecting against cybercrime, especially for women? What are generally good precautions, behaviors, apps, settings, etc. and which are even more important for women? In other words, what kinds of are cybercrime are disproportionately targeting or affecting women? How can one, as in classical security, best prevent, detect, respond to, or recover from them?

Asking for someone who works at a hotline for girls and women. Feel free to interpret the term cybercrime broadly.
posted by meijusa to Computers & Internet (6 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite

I would look into domestic violence and key logging/spyware. Here is an interesting article from NPR on an organization that is helping domestic violence victims conduct a "digital detox."
posted by CMcG at 12:06 PM on September 5, 2017

Crash Override Network has some great links in its Resource Center and in general is a really useful source on this topic.
posted by KatlaDragon at 12:22 PM on September 5, 2017

Speak Up & Stay Safe(r): A Guide to Protecting Yourself From Online Harassment
Created by three women. From the About Us section: "We created this document because we wanted to share what we have learned through years of being targeted by cyber mobs. We know how intimidating, scary, and overwhelming online harassment can be and we hope this document can help to empower readers to make informed safety and security decisions that are right for them."
posted by wsquared at 1:54 PM on September 5, 2017 [1 favorite]

I think I bookmarked this through ask.mefi a few years ago: "Zen and the art of making tech work for you" from the gender + tech resources of the Tactical Technology Collective. It's all one page, divided into chapters/briefs on everything from managing identities online, trolling, online stalking / abuse, and lots of links to further resources, applicable downloads, etc. It's also translated into Spanish.
posted by cluebucket at 2:10 PM on September 5, 2017

If using Google services (Gmail, Docs, etc) get a U2F Yubikey or other U2F security key. It can't be phished by a misleading email or website, and it can't be copied like passwords. They also work with Facebook, I think.

The weakness of security keys in this context is that a USB key, as a physical object, is a big protection from strangers on the internet but if an abusive partner/friend/coworker is involved they might be able to find the key even if kept in a wallet.
posted by BinaryApe at 11:23 PM on September 5, 2017

Romance scams generally target women, and were the second most costly form of internet crime last year -- more than phishing, internet theft, etc.
posted by attentionplease at 8:03 AM on September 6, 2017

« Older Illinois Toll Plaza HELP!   |   Why do all my joints pop? Newer »