Sauna by the hour in New York City?

Any pay-per-hour Finnish saunas in New York City?

I recently moved to New York City. Back home, I visited a pay-per-hour Finnish sauna once a week, for about 2-3 hours, paying between $17-23 (USD) a visit. (I appreciate that NYC will be more expensive!)

Does anyone know of any pay-per-hour saunas in New York City? Preferably Manhattan or close to (the baths out in Sheepshead Bay for example are a bit too far out).

Massive bonus points if it's a facility big enough to lie down when in the sauna, but anything is appreciated at this stage! Doesn't have to be Finnish but that is also a bonus.

Someone mentioned to me that "schvitzing" is a thing in NYC - perhaps there are under-the-radar neighborhood spots that do pay-per-hour?
posted by atmosphere to Health & Fitness (6 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

The classic is the East Village Russian & Turkish Baths, but they're $45 for entry. I'm not sure you can do much better in Manhattan & immediate environs, though.
posted by praemunire at 6:55 PM on August 31, 2017 [1 favorite]

A city as big as NYC must have Korean Saunas- google your preferred borough and the word "jimjilbang".
posted by pseudostrabismus at 11:31 PM on August 31, 2017

Spa Castle is the Korean spa I know in Manhattan. It's fun, but glitzy and expensive.
posted by LizardBreath at 4:30 AM on September 1, 2017

This might be a long shot, but you could contact the Scandinavia House: The Nordic Center in America, which is located in Manhattan, to see if they know of any.
posted by mandolin conspiracy at 11:43 AM on September 1, 2017

The Russian and Turkish Baths on 10th Street between 1st and A. Not precisely a Finnish sauna but ex-president of Finland Martti Ahtisaari used to go there. You can save $ if you get a Groupon or buy a multiple-entry pass.
posted by jcrcarter at 8:16 PM on September 1, 2017

The Russian and Turkish baths are having an anniversary sale with passes for $12.50 a visit for Labor Day. These are only good for David's shift, which is every other week. (There's two owners or managers who split the schedule by weeks--one is digital and does the groupons, the other is old school.) I've only visited on David's shift, thanks to my love of groupons and holiday sales.
posted by icaicaer at 7:12 PM on September 2, 2017

« Older Could this system go online? Mailing checks for...   |   Identify either of these mid century designers? Newer »