How does residency and access to health care work in Italy?

My partner has metastatic breast cancer and we've been strongly recommended by her doctors here in Romania to get out of the country to continue her care. We've started talking with a cancer research center in Italy and it looks like just what we need (in addition to being close to her family). I have some questions about how access to medical care works for EU citizens residing in Italy...

Some background:

1 - My partner is Romanian, and thus an EU citizen. (I'm also an EU citizen, should that matter.)
2 - My partner has been receiving long term medical leave assistance from the government here in Romania but this is ending now.
3 - My partner's mother lives near the hospital we are looking at and is an Italian resident.
4 - My partner's mother has an address that my partner can register at as a resident.

The cancer institute is a private non-profit hospital in Milano (https://www.ieo.it/en/). Our first interaction with them will be fully paid, and we expect to have a consult with them later in September.

I expect that we will want to continue with her care at that hospital, and I need to learn a bit more about what that would look like. Should my partner be registering as an Italian resident immediately, in anticipation of getting a referral to the hospital? Does having Italian residence guarantee her affordable/free care in Italy? Is there any paperwork she needs to do in Romania before leaving to ensure that everything works properly?

I'm flying a bit blind and I would love some information, even links to some guides for how to do this. It's a scary time and any assistance would be great. Thanks!
posted by jpziller to Health & Fitness (3 answers total)

Should my partner be registering as an Italian resident immediately, in anticipation of getting a referral to the hospital? Does having Italian residence guarantee her affordable/free care in Italy?

Yes and yes.
posted by DarlingBri at 3:19 PM on August 31, 2017 [1 favorite]

OK, some quick research I did:

If your stay exceeds 3 months you are not considered a tourist anymore and should (or even must) apply for residency. Residency is a pre-requisite to accessing the full national health service. Until then you will only have access to a subset of the health service.

The process and rules around residency is explained at http://www.poliziadistato.it/articolo/10930

This is a PDF titled "Access to the National Health Service by Foreign Citizens": http://www.archeo.salute.gov.it/imgs/C_17_opuscoliPoster_128_allegato.pdf
posted by switch007 at 3:23 PM on August 31, 2017 [2 favorites]

You need to have residency and preferably have a tax number as well to be eligible for the national health insurance, the INPs
posted by expat-italy at 2:26 AM on November 26, 2017

« Older These shoes are made for walkin' (and standin')   |   Can I eat this - soaked chickpeas edition. Newer »