What is this indie song?!

This has been in my head for weeks like an itch I can't scratch. Here is what I know: The chorus sounds a lot like the chorus of "Wake Up" by Arcade Fire, but it's definitely a different song. The chorus sounds like a group of people all singing "Hella! Hella! (pause) HellaHella! Hella! Hella! (pause) HellaHella! Hella! Hella! (pause) HellaHella! oh oh OhOH oh oh oh!"

It's in a minor key. It sounds like the several people singing the chorus are all singing the same notes, not harmonizing. There is a marked pause between the ending of the verse and the beginning of the chorus. I feel like it's an "indie" song, probably. I've heard it on the radio in public places several times over the past year, but for some reason I feel like the song is probably older than that, maybe from the 00's.

Help. Please. My hours of Googling and listing to random lists of songs have not produced an answer.
posted by Munching Langolier to Grab Bag (15 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

It's not that (although that is a lovely song). The song in question is faster (?), louder, and has more instruments.
posted by Munching Langolier at 11:27 PM on August 26, 2017

The pattern of the 'oh oh oh's' brought to mind Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness' Cecilia And The Satellite.
posted by juliplease at 12:05 AM on August 27, 2017

Is it Pompeii by Bastille?
posted by h00py at 3:01 AM on August 27, 2017

Falling by HAIM?
posted by rollick at 4:46 AM on August 27, 2017

Is it Hella by Cayucas? It does have the gap between chorus and next verse.

edit: I got this the wrong way round! sorry!
posted by lokta at 6:15 AM on August 27, 2017

I assume that every person on the planet knows "Smells Like Teen Spirit"

Hello Hello Hello How low

Long shot, I know
posted by kbbbo at 8:07 AM on August 27, 2017

Hmmm none of these so far (but thanks for the answers). They're too "thin." The song I'm thinking of has a "broader" sound-feel: lots of people singing the chorus, more orchestra-like instruments, more..."full." I don't think they're actually saying "hella" (or "ella?") in the chorus. That is just what it phonetically sounds like.
posted by Munching Langolier at 11:15 AM on August 27, 2017

Get up and Go by the Polyphonic Spree?
posted by aka burlap at 11:59 AM on August 27, 2017

OK one more guess: No no no by Beirut?
posted by aka burlap at 12:16 PM on August 27, 2017

Any of the ones listed here? Also consider posting to that forum ...
posted by WCityMike at 12:35 PM on August 27, 2017

Is it anything like these:

Ain't It Fun -- Paramore (from about 2.15)
Dirty Paws -- Of Monsters and Men (at about 1.45)
Two Weeks -- Grizzly Bear
Step Out -- José Gonzales
Home -- Phillip Phillips (about 2.40)
posted by rollick at 12:45 PM on August 27, 2017

No hits yet, but it appears that person in the reddit form WCityMike linked to has the same exact question as I do. I will watch closely!
posted by Munching Langolier at 4:42 PM on August 27, 2017

I think this must be it: Paradise by Coldplay, from 2011 (found via this article).
posted by rollick at 5:58 AM on August 28, 2017 [1 favorite]

Oh my God, it is that Coldplay song! I can't believe it. I've always actively disliked Coldplay, and now I have to rethink my entire worldview. Thank you, Rollick!
posted by Munching Langolier at 12:23 PM on August 28, 2017 [2 favorites]

« Older Mystery hot powdered peach "tea" drink mix   |   How does one sonic attack? Newer »