Scenic Upstate NY town with amtrak stop

I'm going to be visiting Albany in the fall and won't have a car. I'd like to plan a trip via amtrak to somewhere further Upstate. Looking mainly for a town with some accessible natural beauty. I probably will want to do it all over a weekend. Any ideas?
posted by charlielxxv to Travel & Transportation around Wurtsboro, NY (8 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Saratoga Springs sounds like what you're looking for, and it's less than an hour by Amtrak or a couple of hours by bus.
posted by thomas j wise at 6:52 PM on August 24, 2017 [3 favorites]

Hudson, Ny is, one stop below Albany on amtrak and is a gorgeous little town with cafes, bookstores and antique shops.
posted by larthegreat at 7:33 PM on August 24, 2017 [5 favorites]

Montreal.
posted by AugustWest at 9:00 PM on August 24, 2017 [1 favorite]

I would look at the towns along Lake Champlain. It's one of the most scenic sections of the Amtrak Adirondack line (the train runs right along the lakeshore) and many of the towns have ferry service to the Vermont side (from Port Kent there is a ferry to Burlington).

Be aware that the "Albany" Amtrak station is actually across the river in Rensselaer and I don't think there is any pedestrian access to the bridge that takes you there. There may be a bus, otherwise you'll need to get a cab.
posted by enn at 5:12 AM on August 25, 2017 [1 favorite]

I feel obliged to point out that you can probably rent a car for a weekend for about the same price as a round-trip Amtrak ticket, and that doing so would open up a lot more possibilities for you in terms of regions you can get to, things you can do while you're there (many small towns don't really have enough in their downtowns to keep you occupied for a full weekend), and scheduling your travel. You may have already considered this idea and rejected it, but I wanted to moot the idea just in case.
posted by Johnny Assay at 5:17 AM on August 25, 2017

Unless there's a construction project blocking it, there's a pedestrian walkway along the north span of the Dunn Memorial Bridge. Here's the access point on the Rensselaer side, and here's the access point on the Albany side. It doesn't look like a terribly attractive walk, but it's doable.
posted by Johnny Assay at 5:33 AM on August 25, 2017 [1 favorite]

Saratoga, and then make a day trip to the Adirondacks via the North Creek scenic rail line.
posted by metasarah at 6:01 AM on August 25, 2017 [1 favorite]

It doesn't look like a terribly attractive walk, but it's doable.

My wife and I did it a couple of years ago, once in each direction between the station and a hotel on State St in Albany — it was about 1.5 miles in each direction. There were other pedestrians, though we were the only people wheeling suitcases. If you are the sort of person who doesn’t mind an urban walk, then it’s fine.
posted by Quinbus Flestrin at 1:20 PM on August 25, 2017

« Older Yet Another "Where Should I Live?"   |   Can I get feedback on my okcupid profile? Newer »