Vacation Rental for 35 in North East USA
August 24, 2017 10:37 AM   Subscribe

I am looking for a place to rent for 35 people for a week next summer. Requirements: * Not more than 2-3 hours from an airport * Near a lake, river, or ocean * Has a kitchen * Anywhere from Delaware, through Connecticut (including Pennsylvania and New York) - people will be coming from DC, NJ, Boston - ideally most could drive * Budget $10k. I looked on VRBO and Google but have not found much. Camping is not under consideration. Any ideas?
posted by geekBird to Travel & Transportation around Northeastern United States, United States (9 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

There's a lot of vacation housing stock around Lake George. Have you looked there?
posted by praemunire at 10:38 AM on August 24, 2017

By "has a kitchen" do you mean completely self-catering or are you open to a facility that has a dining hall type arrangement so long as there's some capacity for some people to prepare food?
posted by Lyn Never at 10:41 AM on August 24, 2017

My experience recently is that everything is on Air BnB now. I'd try that next.
posted by fshgrl at 10:41 AM on August 24, 2017 [1 favorite]

Migis Lodge looks like the sort of thing you might like. Maine also has some 'family camps' that can accommodate large groups. They usually have a mix of individual cabins and group facilities.
posted by theora55 at 10:48 AM on August 24, 2017 [1 favorite]

You might also try searching for a "retreat center" as these are sometimes rented out to assorted unaffiliated groups.
posted by mareli at 10:53 AM on August 24, 2017 [3 favorites]

Here's one in the Hudson Valley.

Here's one
in upstate NY with a pool.

There are tons on Airbnb all over.
posted by greta simone at 10:56 AM on August 24, 2017 [1 favorite]

I was thinking of Migis Lodge as well. My in-laws used to live just a few miles from there and I used to know people who went there every summer with a large family group. Maybe a little further north than your original specification, but drivable distance from all the places you mention as well as being close to the airport in Portland.
posted by briank at 11:37 AM on August 24, 2017

What about renting several houses in a row in a beach community? Outer Banks or Sandbridge section of Virginia Beach might suit. After rereading, I see you're looking for more North East, so what about Rehobeth Beach?
posted by poppunkcat at 1:57 PM on August 24, 2017

Incarnation Conference Center, really convenient location in CT and beautiful property, with a lake and hiking trails and firepits.
posted by Miko at 10:53 AM on August 25, 2017

« Older Why Does The Mind Do Such Shoddy Detail Work Re:...   |   Why does my stomach hurt after eating? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.