What was your experience with the Capturing Kids' Hearts program?

My district has made the decision to have my school pilot this program and I have two full days of training in front of me. Tell me how the Capturing Kids' Hearts program and/or training has worked in your classroom or at your school.

I have taught a long time and am confident in my management skills, relationships with students and command of my curriculum. I am wary of what on first glance appears to be expensive flavor of the month high-paid consultants whose only direction for training is, "Bring an item of sentimental value" when I am admittedly not much into sharing with my colleagues, staff bonding or doing much besides keeping to my own classroom and doing my job quietly and well with a group of mostly awesome kids.

After a thousand years at this job seeing many programs come and silently disappear one or two years later with nary a mention, it is possible I am being too grumpy and cynical. So: have you done this training or implemented this program in your classroom or school? What was useful? What was not?
posted by charmedimsure to Education (2 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

If implemented with fidelity over the entire school year it can be very effective. My area has implemented this program for over 3 years. The classrooms that do it properly get good results. It is fundamentally about creating a positive emotional environment and helping the students feel like people instead of test-takers. Some of it may be beyond you, but in my area it has made some ground in reducing behavior issues and helping students focus.*

Note that I've not gone through the training but I'm close to those that have. So take my reply with that in mind. I know the teachers that believe in the curriculum and apply it and the kids coming out of their classes seem to be more motivated and focused.
posted by crunchy potato at 8:17 AM on August 14, 2017

Just got prompted to follow up after a month: I think this would be a decent program for a school that was struggling with connecting with kids which needed a structure for doing so, or which didn't have a solid behavioral plan. My school was already doing fine with that and it is definitely being implemented halfway at best- which is okay with me. The training felt snake oily and cult-y and I am fine with this inevitably disappearing as all expensive programs do.
posted by charmedimsure at 12:33 PM on September 13, 2017

« Older Progressive rural or small town communities in...   |   Keeping my own insecurity in check Newer »