Excel 2016 doesn't like the taste of Hacker's Diet macros :-(

Does anyone know of an updated version of the HD spreadsheets that would run on my system? Could I hire someone to update it, reasonably affordably?

The Hacker's Diet Excel worksheets won't work with my computer (Windows 10 and Office 2016). I've done some googling around, but am not finding an updated version, and I suspect I'm not handy enough with Excel to be able to fix it myself.

I know there's an online version on John Walker's website, but I'd rather have something on my computer.
posted by dancing leaves to Computers & Internet (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Have you tried uploading it as a google doc? I don't know how good the macro suport there is, either. But it's worth a shot.
posted by wnissen at 8:47 AM on August 4, 2017

Possibly you could ask John Walker to ask new-ish-Excel programmers if someone would like to update them for the cheers of a grateful crowd? He has the audience, and the audience overlaps plenty of Excel programmers.
posted by clew at 12:51 PM on August 4, 2017

It's a bunch of Excel files that "interact" with each other through extensive programming and macros. I can't imagine that google docs could do anything useful with that scenario.

I know -- It's a wonder that one of those Excel programmers in the audience hasn't already done it. I found one person who made a version for different software, but that was a while ago and it no longer works in current versions of whatever it was. Anyway, I also think it's safe to conclude, unfortunately, that John has received that suggestion on a monthly if not weekly basis for some years now. (sigh)
posted by dancing leaves at 6:11 AM on August 5, 2017

I wouldn't assume Google Docs could do anything with that, but I also wouldn't assume that they couldn't!
posted by clew at 1:33 PM on August 5, 2017

Have just checked that Walker releases the spreadsheets with a very liberal reuse policy, so you certainly could hire someone to redo them. Someone online has a weight-tracking-only version for Google Docs, but that's in the cloud like Walker's version. There's also an expanded version in python on GitHub which you could run on your computer. (Also a "bad alpha" very ambitious version, and... okay, there are at least ten of these projects on GitHub and I haven't checked Hackaday or Bitbucket or Sourceforge.)

You could join the relevant parts of Stack Overflow (Health? Lifehacks?) to ask if anyone has an updated Excel version. If not, I think the problem may be that too few people now program Excel for fun. *Lots* of people will do small jobs in Excel for money. Be clear about what constitutes "done" before you start.
posted by clew at 2:34 PM on August 5, 2017

Thanks for those suggestions -- I haven't heard of most of them, so maybe I will spend some time working out if I can avail myself of those sources (repositories?). Since I know less about Google Docs than Excel even (plus I think it's cloud-based), I'll have to forego those options.
posted by dancing leaves at 6:11 AM on August 7, 2017

Code on GitHub is there so that everyone can download and use it. The first one I linked looks like load-and-go, if you have a friend who can walk you through finding the Python language on your computer. OS X comes with it now, and (looking up) there are free versions for Windows.
posted by clew at 7:38 PM on August 7, 2017

« Older Classic Books on Interior Design?   |   Keep out (please) Newer »