Challenging to find a new challenge!

I want to find a new structured mental-health/personal wellness daily challenge to take on for August. Know any resources?

I'm almost done with Intention Inspired's "30 Days of Brave" challenge, in which every day they send an email with a small "brave act" (ranging from brushing your teeth with your nondominant hand to having difficult conversations that are long overdue), some words of affirmation, and a journaling prompt related to that day's theme. I've really enjoyed it and feel like I've experienced a fair amount of personal growth during this time. I'd love to continue my self-exploration with another similar challenge but am coming up short. Is there anything else like this out there?
I saw this previous question, which is related but not quite the same. Almost everything I find is similar to NaNoWriMo where the goal is to put forth a creative work in a set amount of time, not set a personal wellness/mental health goal and work toward it. I'm not looking to write for writing's sake; I appreciate the therapeutic and structured types of prompts that the 30 Days of Brave challenge has provided, such as looking at my goals and weaknesses. The same authors are putting together a 30 Days of Mindfulness challenge, but it's not out yet, and I really wanted to start something on August 1 so I don't lose the momentum I've gained through July. If you know of any books, mailing lists, websites, etc. that have something like this, please share!
posted by Fuego to Health & Fitness (5 answers total) 20 users marked this as a favorite

Have you checked out Health Month? It has the benefit of already having a supportive Metafilter community there completing challenges.
posted by tofu_crouton at 11:14 AM on July 25, 2017

I signed up on 750words.com (where you write 750 words a day) and I had a streak of about a month and a half. It really helps to get all of your thoughts out and it keeps you motivated to try other new things. Some days were difficult and I really did not feel like writing, getting through those days were the most fulfilling.

edit: sorry I didn't read the rest of your post clearly. It might help to use it as a journal and not necessarily as a creative exercise. (for example: I wrote about things I was grateful for)
posted by sheepishchiffon at 11:14 AM on July 25, 2017

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Both of these are great, but not really what I'm looking for. What I really like about the 30 Days of Brave is that it's a bunch of mini-challenges and thoughtful affirmations/prompts that I would never think to come up with myself. Every day it's a surprise, instead of just trying to keep up a streak of X days of [healthy behavior]. Yes, I have an overarching goal for the month, which is simply to be happier and more productive in my daily life, but the challenges are often not directly related to that goal, and part of what is interesting is taking the challenges, affirmations, and questions, and seeing how I can apply them to my goal.

I've had a 750 words account for years; at one point I had a streak of over 6 months. I enjoy online journaling greatly even though I use a different platform now (where all my current challenge's journal entries live); but the structure of a challenge and not simply a blank page is what I'm seeking out.
posted by Fuego at 12:35 PM on July 25, 2017

The book Making a Change for Good: A Guide to Compassionate Self-Discipline by American Zen teacher Cheri Huber includes a 30-day at-home "retreat" with prompts for meditation, contemplation, and journaling. Her book Transform Your Life: A Year of Awareness Practice includes 365 quotes with associated assignments. And What Universe Are You Creating? is a 52-card deck of prompts for journaling or recording & listening.
posted by Lexica at 1:24 PM on July 25, 2017 [3 favorites]

Lexica, that is exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you!
posted by Fuego at 6:50 AM on July 26, 2017

« Older Help my Elderly Aunt Get Her $15,000 Back   |   Presenting a PDF slideshow--how can I blackout the... Newer »