53g of powdered ginger, what to do?

Just received a big jar of powdered ginger -- what to make with it?

I slice up ginger root preliminary to most wok cooking, but don't know what to do with the powdered stuff. Baking? Cookies? I guess it's an ingredient in ginger snaps, but what's your recommendation?
posted by Rash to Food & Drink (23 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

sprinkle it on coffee - mmm, delicious
posted by seawallrunner at 9:37 PM on January 19, 2006

Where'd you get it from? My mother adores this stuff, uses it in everything that could possibly benefit from the addition of ginger in any form (and, probably many things that don't) but we can't find it anymore!
posted by coriolisdave at 9:43 PM on January 19, 2006

That's a lot of ginger. Gingerbread cookies are good. I think ginger beer is also popular, although I've never tried it myself. This page has a buttload of recipes using ginger. Plus be sure to check out the main page which features a man ballroom dancing with a ginger root. Scary stuff.
posted by super_not at 9:44 PM on January 19, 2006

It's from Penzeys.
posted by Rash at 9:48 PM on January 19, 2006

I use it in stir fries.
posted by acoutu at 9:51 PM on January 19, 2006

Ahhh! Ginger people! I saw a label on a salad dressing or something from this company that still freaks me out. Those recipes look good, but those people have an unnatural relationship with ginger, far beyond normal spice- person relations.
posted by MadamM at 9:51 PM on January 19, 2006

The Mole family went on their sunday morning stroll though the network of tunnels. When they came to a hole, Mama Mole stuck her head out, sniffed, and said "smells like somebody is baking gingerbread". Papa Mole stuck his head out next to Mama's and said the he thought he could smell ginger. Baby Mole then chimes in "all I smell is molasses".
posted by MonkeySaltedNuts at 10:03 PM on January 19, 2006

Not cooking related, but I have found powdered ginger an excellent remedy for motion sickness (and, to a lesser extent, nausea in general).

So maybe now you can take that boat trip you've been waiting for.
posted by camcgee at 10:41 PM on January 19, 2006

Ginger ale 0.04%
posted by hortense at 10:48 PM on January 19, 2006

I've been drinking straight ginger-tea lately, via boiled sliced root. It's better than I imagined, and it takes a fair chunk of ginger to get something potent, so I'd go through 53g in no time. Tea is a bit lackluster, I admit.
posted by Jack Karaoke at 11:16 PM on January 19, 2006

Oh, and you can use the worlds healthiest foods doo-dad to find recipes by ingredient..

posted by Jack Karaoke at 11:23 PM on January 19, 2006

If you want something hot to drink, one of my favorite decaf drinks is just a mug of hot water with a little lemon juice, a pinch of ginger, and maybe some honey. A lot of people use this as a sore-throat cure, too.
posted by anjamu at 12:22 AM on January 20, 2006

Home remedy for a sore back: make a paste of powdered ginger and vaseline, and schmear it on. It will feel like your back is on fire, and it works. (You won't want to wear a shirt or lean against a sofa or anything while you're using it, though)
posted by leapingsheep at 2:34 AM on January 20, 2006

Flapjacks.

Mind you, it would take a while to get through 53g of the stuff though.
posted by coach_mcguirk at 3:43 AM on January 20, 2006

When consumed, ginger is said to bring blood flow to the genital region.

It is also supposed to be good for digestion.
posted by merlin17 at 4:47 AM on January 20, 2006

Powdered ginger is apparently used in preference to the fresh stuff in North African cuisine, for example in tagines.
posted by misteraitch at 5:33 AM on January 20, 2006

Powdered ginger is great in marinades. I use it all the time because it infuses the liquids with more of a ginger flavor then adding a bunch of sliced ginger root. Plus, sometimes when you're using fresh stuff, the little diced pieces can get burned on the grill/in the pan and taste bitter.

For example, here's a simple recipe for a turkey marinade that's really tasty.
posted by Gamblor at 6:40 AM on January 20, 2006

Oh yeah, powdered ginger is also used in pumpkin pie spice. You'd have to make a ridiculous amount to use up your whole jar, but that would just mean a truckload of pumpkin pies, which would be a thing of beauty and I'd appreciate an invitation.
posted by Gamblor at 6:49 AM on January 20, 2006

If you eat meat, it's a great addition to a beef-noodle soup. Better than the root, because you can get a nice strong ginger flavor.
posted by gaspode at 7:03 AM on January 20, 2006

If you're going to ingest large amounts of ginger, you may want to keep an eye out for side effects. Once, I started getting nosebleeds (and a small cut didn't want to clot) after drinking 3 cups of ginger tea a day for about a week. I did a little googling and found out ginger's an anticoagulant.

as for what to do with it, I often throw it in chocolate-based goodies.
posted by cybercoitus interruptus at 9:03 AM on January 20, 2006

People use methods similar to the one leapingsheep mentions for various sexual activities. Try searching for "figging" if you are feeling adventurous.
posted by Irontom at 11:16 AM on January 20, 2006

You can make a great marinade for tofu & mushrooms by mixing equal parts tamari and sesame oil, then adding in some salt, pepper, and powdered ginger. Yum!
posted by booknerd at 11:36 AM on January 20, 2006 [1 favorite]

coriolisdave, you can usually find this stuff at Indian grocery stores...
posted by Arthur Dent at 12:46 PM on January 20, 2006

« Older MidEast language map   |   Cyberpunk couriers Newer »