Can I save or archive my best blog post?

I want to close my blog, and stop paying the domain and hosting fees, but I have one particular post that I'd hate to lose. Is there a way to save it?

I have a blog that I no longer use and so I want to stop paying for it later this year. I am planning to start a new website to use as a writing portfolio, and transfer over some of my favourite content.

I am not worried about the stats or saving the URLs of any of my past content except for one particular post.

This post is actually not related to my current blog at all, but it was a convenient location to put it up. It's got a great Google ranking and a bit.ly link that is now all over the place. I really don't want to lose all the cred by transferring the post when I close my blog.

Is there a way to save it somehow? I'm not super blog/website savvy so I'm not sure if this is a thing or not. I do know that I can't transfer over the bit.ly link without paying for the premium service, which was my first thought, and not my preferred option.

Any advice would be great.
posted by Youremyworld to Computers & Internet (8 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

If you don't mind sharing, who is the blog host, the service that hosts the blog? It might be possible to export from there. If I were you, I'd search for "export blogspot" (assuming blogspot).

You can load the blog post and save it using your web browser; save it as "Web page: complete" and it'll save both an HTML file as well as a subfolder containing the pictures and other add-in elements on the page.
posted by Sunburnt at 8:05 PM on June 29, 2017

I think the only way to retain the URL is to keep the domain name and create an addon domain that has only that page. Your web host shouldn't charge extra for it, so just find the cheapest domain registrar and hold on to the name.
posted by Johnny Wallflower at 8:26 PM on June 29, 2017 [1 favorite]

Right, archiving the post is easy, any of us could scrape the content using the current working URL, including text, links, images, etc.

Preserving the actual URL, the bitly bit, or and search discoverability is an entirely different matter. If you clarify what you care about that might get you better answers. I'm not sure what you mean by 'cred' but closing out your current blog host is goIng to forfeit all the important parts of the URL.

If you just want to preserve text, hit ctrl-a to select all text, ctrl-c to copy it, then ctrl-v to paste it in to any text editor or word processor.

If you want to preserve the bitly link, I'm pretty sure paying Bit.ly is the only guaranteed way to make that work out once the content is no longer available via the original URL. There are probably forwarding/redirect methods that may work for a lot of cases but to know for sure with the bitly link you probably have to do the thing and then try the link.
posted by SaltySalticid at 8:30 PM on June 29, 2017 [1 favorite]

What would your ideal solution to this look like? Could you archive it on archive.org?
posted by dilaudid at 9:28 PM on June 29, 2017 [1 favorite]

Response by poster: To follow up:

It's a Wordpress blog, hosted by Web Hosting Hub. Not sure if that is helpful.

The post is a photo spread of a room makeover I did. I don't need to preserve the content as I have the original photos, but the post and photos appear very prominently on Google (links and images) and all over Pinterest, plus I have used the bit.ly link hundreds of times when promoting the post, especially on Facebook.

By cred, I mean all those pathways that currently link back to the post. I.e. all the Google search images, Pinterest posts etc. When the blog is closed, I assume the links will just lead nowhere?

What I want, is for people to continue to be able to find the post using the pathways that are already out there, without having to continue to pay for hosting a whole blog with only that one post.

I could put the post back up on my new site, but that would give it a new URL and the bit/ly would be outdated. Is there a way to redirect the original URL?
posted by Youremyworld at 9:36 PM on June 29, 2017

There is no way to do what you want without owning the domain or paying to have the bit/ly target changed.
posted by dilaudid at 10:32 PM on June 29, 2017 [1 favorite]

Best answer: You have oldblog.com/important-post. You want to take down oldblog.com
You would like to have newblog.com/important-post, with all of the existing links to oldblog.com/important-post redirecting to newblog.com/important-post.

High Level order of operations:
1) Migrate important-post content to newblog.com
2) Change domain records for oldblog.com domain to forward to newblog.com
3a) Make sure that the other content that no longer exists isn't getting redirected to something broken. If oldblog.com/old-post is redirecting to newblog.com/old-post, and old post doesn't exist on new blog, that might be broken and you might want it to just redirect to the home page, for example.
4) Shut down web hosting for oldblog.com. Because of step 2, you will need to keep paying for oldblog.com

If newblog.com is also going to be a Wordpress site, there good tools to migrate the content over: All-In-One is the one that I usually use. You can get rid of all the content that you don't want after the migration fairly easily. If newblog.com isn't going to be a Wordpress site, there might be an easy way to migrate the content depending on platform. If there isn't, it might not be too hard to just recreate the post manually, depending on how complex it is.

You can close down the hosting account for oldblog, but you need continue paying for the oldblog.com domain name so that the rules can be in place to redirect traffic to newblog.com. The way to do this is with domain forwarding from your domain registrar-that might be Web Hosting Hub, or it might be another company. If you are getting a free domain from Web Hosting Hub with your hosting plan, you might need them to separate the domain from the hosting for you before you shut down the hosting.

Web Hosting Hub Redirect Instructions

I do this kind of thing for a living and would be happy to help you set this up in an hour or two. MeMail me if that would be helpful.
posted by Kwine at 10:35 PM on June 29, 2017 [3 favorites]

As I see it, you will need to keep paying for the domain. You can find a sympathetic soul with a server to host the page for you (edit: for free), and point your DNS records to that server.

But if you want links to http://www.yourblog.com/uberpost.html to keep working, you need to keep paying for yourblog.com.
posted by wrm at 11:46 PM on June 29, 2017

« Older Help us parent our aging parents   |   Trail running packs/solutions for dummies. Newer »