Help us eat all the shrimps!

We have gallons of delicious shrimp and need your fresh ideas to help us use them up.

My husband went shrimping with a friend and came home with gallons and gallons of fresh Prince William Sound shrimp. It is delicious and a we need ideas to use it up in the next 6 months or so. We left some to use fresh in the next few days but most is now frozen in water not yet peeled or deveined.

I would love specific recipes beyond BBQ skewers and tom yum soup, which are our current go tos. We have access to a reasonably well-stocked city grocery store and high-average cooking ability. Help us!
posted by charmedimsure to Food & Drink (28 answers total) 10 users marked this as a favorite

Some of my favorite recipes:
Shrimp scampi (this is the best recipe, don't let anyone mislead you with another one)

Chipotle cream shrimp tacos

Bang bang shrimp (I also like this as a taco filling with a citrusy slaw)

Creamy pesto shrimp
posted by joan_holloway at 3:24 PM on June 2, 2017

You could try making shrimp paste (maybe start with a small batch if you don't know if you'll like it).
posted by dilaudid at 3:43 PM on June 2, 2017

Pickled shrimp!
posted by neroli at 3:48 PM on June 2, 2017

Pre-made Thai green curry is fast and easy!

Buy a jar of green curry paste (there are tons of available brands).

Put a couple tablespoons in a big pan, heat it up a bit, add a can of coconut milk (this would make enough for 1-2 people), 1-2 tablespoons of sugar, and 1-3 tablespoons of fish sauce (it's an acquired taste for some, so go easy if you're not used to it- but it really adds a lot of flavour so don't leave it out).

When the sauce is hot, add the shrimp & cook for a few minutes.

Toss in random chopped vegetables: firm veggies like carrots and onions can be cut thin and added first; then more delicate ones near the end, like chopped red peppers, torn kale leaves, snow peas, zucchini slices, and broccoli)

Simmer til veggies are juuust cooked but not limp. Serve on rice or noodles. Great with a beer!
posted by pseudostrabismus at 3:52 PM on June 2, 2017

The other night, here's what I did on a whim: I preheated the oven to 425 degrees F. While the oven heated up, I chopped up some onions, red peppers, and zucchini, and I halved some grape tomatoes. I dumped all these veggies in a bowl, and I drizzled them with olive oil and tossed them with salt and fresh oregano. And then I dumped all of them onto a baking sheet. I popped that into the oven. Meanwhile, I put on a pot of water to boil, and I tossed some shrimp in a handful of panko bread crumbs, ground pepper, minced garlic, and olive oil -- I read once that the breadcrumbs help the olive oil and spices stick to the shrimp and coat it so it doesn't dry out from roasting. After the veggies had been roasting for about 15 minutes, I scattered the shrimp on top of them, alongside big hunks of good-quality feta. While that cooked for about 10 minutes, I put some orzo in the boiling water. When the orzo was finished, I drained it and then tossed it in olive oil, and about two tablespoons of red wine vinegar mixed with some nice-quality mustard and what was leftover of the fresh oregano. Then, I scooped the orzo into bowls and topped it with the veggie-shrimp-feta roasted mix. And OMG. Everyone loved it. And it was nice leftover and cold the next day, too.
posted by pinkacademic at 3:52 PM on June 2, 2017 [1 favorite]

Shrimp po'boys! Peel and devein. Coat them in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs. Then fry them in oil. Drain and put the shrimp in a loaf of French bread cut in two lengths. Dress with lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, and mayo. And Crystal hot sauce, if you want.

You can also look up a recipe for New Orleans BBQ Shrimp, where the shrimp aren't grilled but sauteed in lots of seasoned butter.
posted by Leontine at 3:59 PM on June 2, 2017 [3 favorites]

Shrimp Uggie!

Easy to make and haunt-your-dreams delicious!
posted by cakelite at 3:59 PM on June 2, 2017

Camarones a la Diabla (the hotter the better)

Goi Cuon (a salad by any other name)

Shrimp and Sausage seafood boil (we skimp on the potatoes)

Ebi Sunomono

Shrimp Louie (entree)
posted by the Real Dan at 4:05 PM on June 2, 2017

Making miso butter shrimp right now, really good and easy
posted by sestaaak at 4:06 PM on June 2, 2017

Garlic, rosemary, olive oil, broiler, lemon.
posted by RobotVoodooPower at 4:13 PM on June 2, 2017

Okay I did this yesterday with whole head on gulf prawns and I died from the hedonistic pleasure:

Fill pan with about a quarter of an inch of neutral oil. Rinse and pat dry prawns, put a spoonful of cornstarch in a bag. Toss in prawns and shake to coat. When oil sizzles when a bit of cornstarch is sprinkled in, place the prawns in and let them fry away. Almost immediately the oil will begin to bleed a gorgeous bright orange color. Prep a big bowl with folded paper towels in the bottom. A couple minutes on one side, flip the shrimp, fry up the second side. You'll see the shells begin to get a little toasted and a touch opaque. You want to make sure that happens all over because you're eating the shells and everything and they get wonderfully crispy crunchy when thoroughly fried but can be a bit chewy otherwise.

As soon as they're cooked through, transfer to the paper towels and pat the excess oil off. Remove the towels and into the bowl toss with salt, garlic powder, and shichimi togarashi (a japanese pepper and spice blend you can find at any asian market) while still hot. Let them cool and then devour with your hands, heads and tails and eyeballs and everything. Omg so good.

The oil can be strained and kept in the fridge. It's this incredible bright orange color and has a super pungent shrimp flavor. You can toast rice and pasta in it before cooking normally and make amazing shrimp flavored risotto, paella, penne, couscous... And it can be drizzled onto the tops of creamy soups and sauces that you've tossed cooked seafood into.
posted by Mizu at 4:23 PM on June 2, 2017

Shrimp and grits.
posted by bgrebs at 4:23 PM on June 2, 2017 [3 favorites]

Take the best quality olive oil, enough to just cover your prawns (ideally shell and head on) in a small saucepan. Add a lot of crushed garlic, think about 1 good sized clove per prawn. Add a lot of finely chopped high quality capers - or caper shoots if you can find them. About 1/2-1 tsp per prawn. Add crushed red chillies (or whole dried chillies, lightly smashed, if you prefer) to taste. I like to pre-warm the oil until I can smell the garlic, but this may take a while as you can't let the oil become hot. Add prawns. Cook on very low heat - you are poaching the prawns, not frying them. You should never go above very tiny bubbles. Cook until the prawns are pink. Stir in a good amount of finely chopped flat-leaf parsley.

Serve with high quality pasta with good bread to mop up the olive oil. It also works well with grits.

This was taught to me by a Turkish Cypriot olive farmer and food obsessive, and is really delicious. The key is having the best ingredients you can find. If you have olive oil left over, keep it for another use.
posted by tavegyl at 5:37 PM on June 2, 2017 [2 favorites]

My mother, who used to run a shrimp and crawfish truck, has a proprietary secret spice mix I suspect is secretly a mix of Old Bay and Tony Chachere's plus extra cayenne if you want it Hot, which she used for shrimp boil. Get a variety of sausage and good red or gold little potatoes, do it as soon as good local sweet corn hits the market in your area, boil it all and dump it out on a picnic table covered in a heavy plastic tablecloth. Eat with your hands, standing, with all your friends, leaving greasy spice-smeared fingerprints on your beer cans and rolls of paper towels, and make sure you throw your shells and tails into mixing bowls or coffee cans or something (so the local cats don't have a throat-tearing jamboree after hours). If you can get a hold of crawfish at the same time, you can do them too.
posted by Lyn Never at 5:43 PM on June 2, 2017

Etouffee!
posted by ApathyGirl at 5:54 PM on June 2, 2017 [2 favorites]

Copycat recipe for Killer Shrimp.
posted by Room 641-A at 6:57 PM on June 2, 2017

Cold Shrimp Salad - a little chopped mango, lime, red pepper, shallot, garlic. Maybe a splash of olive oil. Finish with parsley or cilantro.
posted by jbenben at 7:08 PM on June 2, 2017 [2 favorites]

Cold shrimp salad, above, or just mayo and some other various herbs and shrimp (chopped if too large) AND serve it chilled in a half avocado in the hole where the avocado pit used to be.

Amazing starter salad.
posted by slateyness at 7:31 PM on June 2, 2017

If you need to use up a lot and are handy in the kitchen, you can easily make little umami bombs - throw a bunch of boiled shrimp into your food processor with some garlic, oil, favorite spices, maybe a little mushroom or seaweed, until it's a fine paste. Freeze in ice cube trays and pop out the cubes when frozen into a baggie. I add these to soups and hot and cold salad dressings, tuna salad, eggs, spread on toast, melted with butter and dropped onto roasted veggies rounds like sweet potatoes before a roast in the oven...

I usually make two batches, one to be frozen, and one I keep sealed in a mason jar in my fridge, because it goes fast. I spread it on everything, love it as a base layer under the ubiquitous avocado toast. My favorite spice combo is Maryland style with Old Bay.
posted by juniperesque at 8:04 PM on June 2, 2017 [1 favorite]

IIRC I think you can dry them.
posted by brujita at 8:06 PM on June 2, 2017

Find a Low Country Boil recipe. That is some good stuff.
posted by Oyéah at 8:39 PM on June 2, 2017

Hawaiian garlic shrimp. Don't forget the cayenne.
posted by BibiRose at 6:01 AM on June 3, 2017 [1 favorite]

Linguine with garlic shrimp. There's no recipe. Make linguine. Sautee shrimp in a generous amount of garlic and olive oil. Remove from heat. Dump linguine into pan and toss it all together. Serve.
posted by DarlingBri at 6:21 AM on June 3, 2017

We made grilled shrimp with chimichurri sauce just this week! Make the sauce and marinate the shrimp for 1/2 hour or so in a few spoonfuls of the sauce, grill (we use a perforated grill pan, but you could skewer them if you don't have a grill pan) and serve with more sauce on the side. (The sauce was also delicious on the asparagus we grilled).
posted by sarajane at 7:59 AM on June 3, 2017

Ceviche - Guam style

Kelaguen
INGREDIENTS:

* 5 pounds fresh shrimp, with the head and shell on
* Salt, to taste
* Lemon juice (or powder), to taste
* 6-8 stalks green onions, sliced
* Freshly grated coconut
* Hot Pepper, to taste
DIRECTIONS:
1.  Fresh shrimp (with the heads on) is best for kelaguen. You can, however, still make it using frozen shrimp (again, with the heads on).  I recommend pouring boiling water over the raw shrimp, to lessen its sliminess. Let the water run right off the shrimp, preventing it from puddling. You want to avoid it being cooked in the boiling water.
2.  Depending on your liking, you may keep the shells on. Fresh shrimp is best for this since the shells are very soft and easy to chew and swallow. Otherwise, carefully remove the shells from the body and tail of the shrimp, especially if you are using store-bought boxed frozen shrimp since those shells are hard.
3.  Work on the heads last…carefully remove the shell around the top of the heads. You should be able to see a tiny black sliver right in the center, top of the head, after removing the shell. (I don’t know what it is, but it looks dirty. My mom also mentioned it’s bitter.)  As you work with the heads, use caution in preventing the orange substance in the heads from being thrown out. That orange substance is what gives the kelaguen its reddish color and very distinct flavor.
4.  Devein the shrimp, if the shells were removed. (I usually remove them and devein them.) Mash the shrimp a bit using a fork.
5.  According to taste, add lemon juice or powder, salt, finely diced green onions, freshly grated coconut, and red hot peppers.  Mix to combine.  Serve with titiyas or hot white rice and enjoy!  Absolutely delicious!

posted by MexicanYenta at 6:33 PM on June 3, 2017 [1 favorite]

Potted shrimp yesssssss.
posted by merriment at 4:02 PM on June 4, 2017

Not long ago I made Serious Eats' vegan banh mi, and ended up with a bunch of extra marinade from that recipe, so I slathered it on some shrimp and broiled them in the oven on high for ~3 minutes and holy smokes it was one of the best things I've ever eaten.
posted by saladin at 10:00 AM on June 5, 2017 [1 favorite]

« Older How do I install this strap?   |   Can a city girl find a place of her own in the... Newer »