See bigger photos on my Tumblr dashboard?

I use Tumblr mainly to see cool photographs, but Tumblr insists on displaying them using only a tiny fraction of my screen. Here's an example of how my timeline looks. So much wasted space! Is there any way to make the photos in my timeline bigger as a default?

Note that I n
posted by yankeefog to Computers & Internet (6 answers total)

Urg. Sorry about the "More inside." It was meant to be "Note that I am not asking about resizing the images on my Tumblr blog -- just the images I'm seeing from other blogs on my timeline."
posted by yankeefog at 3:20 AM on May 29, 2017

"Ctrl/Command" + "+"
posted by humboldt32 at 3:58 AM on May 29, 2017

Try browsing 'userstyles.org' for Tumblr themes. Install the addon for Firefox or Chrome, then search for an install particular scripts.

I glanced briefly and found a few scripts that altered image widths. Then you can edit the script yourself to change the widths to whatever you want. There may be a theme/script there already that does what you want, but if not, tweak your own.
posted by 0bvious at 4:09 AM on May 29, 2017

Thanks, humboldt32! That did the trick.

(And thanks, 0bvious. I'm slightly nervous about a plugin that "can read and change all your data on websites you visit" but it's a good option to know about.)
posted by yankeefog at 4:12 AM on May 29, 2017

The plugin isn't sending your data elsewhere though, and certainly not your login and username etc. I think that's bad description on their part of what the plugin does. It's pretty benign.

ctrl + also changes the text size, which in my opinion starts the look really messy.
posted by 0bvious at 4:14 AM on May 29, 2017

On Chrome, I use the Imagus extension (edit: also on Firefox). A moment (you can set the delay) after putting the mouse cursor over an image or video it creates a mouseover with the image in much larger sizer (scaled to a reasonable size according to your browser window), and from there, you can hit ctrl+s to save the image, z to see it in fullsize, or flip it and rotate it with the QWER keys. It supports a lot of sites, tumblr included, with the bonus of not changing text or anything else in the page.
posted by lmfsilva at 9:21 AM on May 29, 2017

« Older Job just outside London - where to live for happy...   |   Month-long house and garden projects for greater... Newer »