ID that indie song: Newcastle pub edition

On Monday night, I found myself in a pub in Newcastle that seemed to be playing nothing but classic British indie from the late '90s to mid 2000s. The Coral, Athlete, The Zutrons, a bit of early Coldplay. One of the tracks didn't make that much of an impression on me at the time, but now I have to know what it was.

It sounded like a classic slab of guitar-based indie psychedelia, a bit shoegazy, male vocalist. The refrain went something like "here comes that rain again, ooooh-ooh, oooh-ooh, OOOOH-ooh." Major chords, ascending mostly, with the second "oohs" a third lower or so. In terms of musical style and melodic content, I'd compare it to (ironically enough) The Aliens, I Am the Unknown.

I wasn't paying much attention to British indie in the early 2000s, so there are huge gaps in my knowledge of songs from this period. But now I have to know: what on earth was this song?
posted by Sonny Jim to Media & Arts (9 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Could it have been a cover of The Eurythmics - Here Comes The Rain Again? Here's a bit from the original which kinda matches your description of the vocals. There's a list of cover versions on SecondHandSongs, and plenty of those are available on Spotify, if you have an account.
posted by Magnakai at 10:21 AM on May 27, 2017

Pulp has a song that goes "here comes the fear again oooh ooh."
posted by gennessee at 10:33 AM on May 27, 2017 [1 favorite]

I don't think this is right, stylistically, but right time period and "rain" in the lyrics: Travis, Why Does it Always Rain on Me?
posted by cushie at 10:46 AM on May 27, 2017

The description of the band (and especially the fact that it's pub background music) suggest Brum's finest: Ocean Colour Scene. Possibly it's The Day We Caught the Train, because it's got the oohs and the trains, but it's not precisely in the chorus.
posted by ambrosen at 11:24 AM on May 27, 2017

There Goes the Fear by Doves, maybe?
posted by backwards guitar at 1:22 PM on May 27, 2017 [5 favorites]

beck maybe? he oohs and is pretty spacey?
posted by speakeasy at 3:31 PM on May 27, 2017

Here Comes that Rain Again - The Pilgrims maybe?
posted by Requiax at 7:48 PM on May 27, 2017

Seeing as you said Aliens, was it The Beta Band, Dry The Rain
posted by fatfrank at 2:15 AM on May 28, 2017 [1 favorite]

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Cracking songs all, but none of them is the song in question. I guess I'll just hit some Spotify playlists and see if it comes up.
posted by Sonny Jim at 8:47 AM on June 1, 2017 [1 favorite]

« Older Webcam for Skype (and others?) direct connection...   |   Physical sunscreen to use on chest scars Newer »