Resources for speaking to middle school-aged child about suicide

A classmate of my middle school-aged child attempted suicide and while my child and I spoke this afternoon after school, I would like to be better prepared to speak about this issue. I probably am missing obvious resources, I admit to being a bit blind-sided by today's events. I am specifically looking for age-appropriate resources to discuss suicide attempts by a fellow classmate. My child is 11 years old.
posted by anonymous to Human Relations (5 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite

The Trevor Project (LGBTQ focused, but for youth specifically) has a Lifeguard Workshop (16 minute video).
posted by roomthreeseventeen at 4:44 PM on May 15, 2017 [1 favorite]

You will find lots of resources at the website for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention: afsp.org.
posted by Boogiechild at 9:03 PM on May 15, 2017

Ask the school? They should be on top of those kind of resources (because they need them right now).

Otherwise, I can personally recommend reaching out to Kids Hurt Too in Hawaii for recommendations. They'll point you in the right direction.
posted by sacchan at 1:20 AM on May 16, 2017 [1 favorite]

« Older Where to stay in the Denver/Boulder area?   |   Looking for a gardening diary Newer »