One thing to make a better life?

I recently gave up alcohol, and WOW do I feel better. I was not even a heavy drinker, but I just have more energy and feel more positive during the day. I'm looking for other small things that I could do that could make things even better. What one thing have you done to make a change in your life that has made the largest impact on your quality of life?
posted by Toddles to Health & Fitness (57 answers total) 160 users marked this as a favorite

Recreational exercise; in my case, ice skating.
I'm not talking about cardiovascular killing-yourself exercise. That's for the birds, and will turn you off completely.
Just walk! If it's nasty outside, go up and down stairs. Try to get 10,000 steps per day under your belt. (if you have a smart phone, it'll keep track of this for you.)

Ice skating has turning my winter-hating self from a piss-monster to a pleasant person (in most cases.) I can't make a better case for recreational exercise than that.
posted by BostonTerrier at 7:52 AM on April 8, 2017 [17 favorites]

I realized that my mental and emotional health is very much tied to the neatness of my surroundings. I've always kept a clean house, but over time I do tend to let paperwork pile up on tables, coats on chairs, odds and ends on kitchen counters, etc. I now make much more of an effort to put things in their places more quickly and tidy as I go. I've been amazed at how my outlook changes and how much more energy I have when I'm not looking at clutter.
posted by bookmammal at 7:55 AM on April 8, 2017 [26 favorites]

Spending ~15 minutes a day on meditation. I use Muse, which I think is fantastic, but there are other tools you can use.
posted by NotMyselfRightNow at 8:03 AM on April 8, 2017 [4 favorites]

Getting enough sleep is revoultionary!
posted by advicepig at 8:05 AM on April 8, 2017 [19 favorites]

Making a conscious effort to complain less about minor annoyances (rude drivers, sounds from neighboring apartments/coworkers, household chores etc.) It never quite ends up being the stress release valve I'm looking for and tends to just make the thing more front-and-center in my brain. Deep breaths, exercise, or doing literally anything else help much more. Also the "bitch eating crackers" meme has definitely helped me put my reactions to certain people in perspective.
posted by eeek at 8:14 AM on April 8, 2017 [25 favorites]

Stopped drinking soda (pop, flavored carbonated beverages).
posted by Rob Rockets at 8:15 AM on April 8, 2017 [6 favorites]

Cutting sugar and carbs from my diet has made a big difference for me. I sleep better, my skin looks better, and I have more energy and stamina.
posted by Lycaste at 8:19 AM on April 8, 2017 [7 favorites]

Meditation, in particular, self-compassion meditation. It started out making me feel better about myself, and then I was able to do metta meditation, which helps me feel good about everyone.
posted by Jesse the K at 8:21 AM on April 8, 2017 [2 favorites]

2nding cutting sugar and carbs. I've been doing keto (the ketogenic diet) for about 15 months straight, but have been of/off for several years. Its made a world of difference in how I feel. More energy, generally less "blah". Wont lie though, it's not easy, especially in the beginning.
posted by cgg at 8:46 AM on April 8, 2017 [1 favorite]

Turn off app notifications on your phone.
posted by phunniemee at 8:46 AM on April 8, 2017 [38 favorites]

Habits, generally. Specifically

- 45 min of "no screen" time in the am
- flossing/brushing daily
- meditation daily
- reading 30+ minutes before bed (and no other screens)
posted by jessamyn at 8:52 AM on April 8, 2017 [12 favorites]

1) Weekly exercise regimen--the cardio/gut-busting kind: I'm totally an exercise/gym hater but actually starting this past week I've exercised 4 days straight (in effort to look more trim for vacation) and I actually feel REALLY REALLY good. I do classes (1 hr each) because I'm not disciplined enough to exercise on my own, but it's really given me a great confidence boost. I can feel and see my body getting more toned, I feel more alert, and after going 4 days straight I got enough momentum to actually crave exercise when I took a day off. It's definitely not easy, but the results are great.

2) Drinking a lot of water every day: I had a UTI once and drank tons of water every day to help that and I actually saw an amazing difference in my skin over those few days. I was pretty astonished
posted by sprezzy at 8:56 AM on April 8, 2017 [2 favorites]

Deleting Facebook and Twitter app off my phone. I still look my accounts almost everyday, but checking it on my web browser makes the entire experience awkward and cumbersome. Hence I have stopped mindlessly browsing endless Facebook or Twitter feeds whenever I have a minute to spare.
posted by moiraine at 8:59 AM on April 8, 2017 [12 favorites]

I've seen a big improvement in my mood by cutting out caffeine. No coffee (including decaf, which still has caffeine), no tea, no soda, no chocolate. I tapered down very slowly. I sleep better and feel less stressed.
posted by duoshao at 9:10 AM on April 8, 2017 [1 favorite]

I quietly took a month off from Facebook and not one person noticed. It was glorious.
posted by roger ackroyd at 9:15 AM on April 8, 2017 [15 favorites]

Learning to say no. I tend to octopus myself into being responsible for too many things both privately and professionally. Learning to say no and not feel guilty made a huge difference in how happy I felt day-to-day. It also gave me the gumption to pare back duties that were really not in my sphere of concern but that Needed To Be Done and No One Else Volunteered. That mindset of always having to be the problem solver? Not really worth the stress. Not going to be on my deathbed and think "If only I'd done more work!"
posted by missh at 9:15 AM on April 8, 2017 [12 favorites]

Working on my wardrobe so I always have something appropriate to wear, things that are comfortable and I feel I look good in, simplifying. Keeping the wardrobe maintained, pruning out what is not working. Ditto having lots of decent underwear so that I only need to do wash every couple of weeks.

A nice bed with good linens. Game changer.

Konmari. I got rid of so many things I did not need and were a huge energy drain on my daily existence (see above, wardrobe).
posted by nanook at 9:18 AM on April 8, 2017 [15 favorites]

This one may be too big of a change: no internet at home. I get plenty of easy internet access from coffee shops, the local college, and work, so I'm still connected when I need to be. But I don't have the constant distraction of looking things ups, getting notifications, checking my email, sending off one last note, checking if anyone else commented on that metafilter thread, reading One Last Article, etc. It cuts down on my screen use (I still use offline apps for gaming or ebooks), increases family interaction (conversation! board games! reading to each other! listening to podcasts like old time-y radio!), and keeps me from getting sucked into the crappy news of the world when I'm doing my happy domestic nest thing. Also, minor monthly cost savings. Works best when you don't have infinite data on your phone because then you just use that instead.
posted by carrioncomfort at 9:24 AM on April 8, 2017 [5 favorites]

Yes yes yes to getting enough sleep. You have no idea how this can improve your life. I'm a senior in college, and whenever I tell my friends to get more sleep, their most frequent response is, "I don't have enough time!"

Here's what I like to call a magic trick: if you get more sleep, you'll have more time! It's truly incredible. When you're well-rested, you focus better, are more productive, remember more, and just in general are more efficient and function on a higher level. This means you get tasks done quicker, don't get distracted as easily, and in general don't have to exert as much effort to get things done. So, like magic, you'll find you actually have more time. For me this played out as not needing to study as much because I learned more in class, writing good papers on the first try, and getting homework done much more quickly. Sleep REALLY helps.

One really good way to make sure you get enough sleep is set up a buffer in your bed time. I try and go to bed at 10:30 every night. This doesn't always happen. But! I don't get up until 8:45. So even if I go to bed at midnight, I'm still getting a decent amount of sleep. And I've never gone to bed later than midnight because I feel too guilty about staying up SO far past my bedtime. And then on days when you do get to bed on time, you either a) catch up on lost sleep by sleeping until your normal wake-up time, or b) wake up early and have more time to get stuff done. It's a win-win!
posted by brook horse at 9:28 AM on April 8, 2017 [24 favorites]

- Yoga twice a day. You don't have to do anything fancy, but a few basic stretches for your hamstrings, hip flexors and other neglected muscles will do a tremendous amount to relieve or prevent unnecessary back pain, as well as to relax you and improve your mood. Just opening up my hip flexors, alone, can transform my anxiety into peacefulness.

- Declaring a 'screen free' day once a week. Boy do I get so much more done (and feel happier) when I act like my phone, laptop and TV don't exist.

- Regularly getting 8 hours of sleep; regularly drinking 2-3 liters of water a day. Wow did both of these change my life. The before-and-after was like having the flu every day versus... not feeling like I have the flu!

- Spending more time in nature, hiking or doing whatever outdoor activity you may find pleasurable. When I think of my happiest and most peaceful memories, they're usually the ones where I was wandering in the woods. Heck, it even makes a difference to crack a window (if you live near the woods) to hear the birds and rustling leaves.

- Getting up extra early before work so that, after taking a shower and getting dressed, I can spend the first hour of my day reading, meditating, stretching, sipping tea, leisurely eating breakfast. It sets a tone and makes you feel like you're running your life, rather than having your job run your life for you.

- Also nthing Konmari/a major declutter of your possessions. You don't realize how much your personal possessions are suffocating you until you dispose of 60% of them (or whatever percentage of your stuff that doesn't 'spark joy'!)
posted by nightrecordings at 9:31 AM on April 8, 2017 [13 favorites]

Get up early and have time to yourself without distractions. Read, write, exercise.
posted by nothing.especially.clever at 9:48 AM on April 8, 2017 [1 favorite]

This might be sacrilege here, but I generally find that I'm happier if I don't read the Blue. That doesn't mean I successfully stay away, but when I force myself to take a break (weeks or months long), it noticeably helps my overall mood...
posted by primethyme at 9:50 AM on April 8, 2017 [9 favorites]

Yoga. It supports mindful awareness, releasing toxic stuff from the body, and adopting a way of being that is healing and prosocial. It also can come with a wonderful community of safe people which can support any healing we need to do from being hurt in the past.
posted by crunchy potato at 9:54 AM on April 8, 2017 [1 favorite]

Running. I hated "running the mile" in gym when I was a kid, but I started running a few years ago for weight loss, and turns out I love it! Local parkland is so much better than the high school track. The first mile still sucks, but after that the endorphins kick in and I'm on top of the world.
posted by basalganglia at 9:57 AM on April 8, 2017 [3 favorites]

Capsule wardrobe. Choose the exact amount of clothes that will get you through 2 weeks (or your preferred laundry interval.) Make it so everything goes together, is stuff you like and feel confident in, is appropriate for the season, and fits well. Pack up everything else neatly and hide it under your bed. Basically, you are packing for a trip, except the trip is "winter" and your goal is not being stressed about what to wear.

Since doing this, I have taken out most of the stress of getting dressed. I always know what I will wear, since everything sort of works together. I am not blinded by a surplus of choices. I don't have to dig through unseasonable clothing. I spend less money because I never have to buy anything because my outfits are already complete, and fashion advertising doesn't work because I think to myself, "Well, I would have to switch something out to make space and I don't want to donate anything, I like everything I've got better than that." (The system is a ruthless one-in, one-out.)

Laundry is easier because there's less of it and I literally run out of clothes if I don't do it on schedule-- and I am better at complying with a system than spontaneously choosing to do a chore. I get more compliments because it's literally impossible for me to pick out an outfit that doesn't work because I did all the work ahead of time (it is the make-all-your-food-on-Sunday approach to clothing.) The weather has changed so I'm switching to spring and I'm excited to see all the clothes I packed away, plus there are a few work shirts getting demoted to casual and I'm excited to be buying a couple new garments which I haven't done in literal months.

In conclusion, the capsule wardrobe concept changed my life for the better because it took all the work out of dressing myself except for one day, quarterly, where I review it for seasonal reasons, and everyone else should do it too.
posted by blnkfrnk at 10:15 AM on April 8, 2017 [29 favorites]

Sleeeeeeep. Seriously. I went from being seriously sleep-deprived (yay grad school) to a somewhat sane sleep schedule and the difference it's made is amazing.

Also getting off social media. If I want to see how someone is doing, I text or Whatsapp them. It's been so good for my mental health.

Reading paper books. While I love my iPad, the light's not great for my eyes and it's really easy to get distracted.
posted by Tamanna at 10:16 AM on April 8, 2017 [1 favorite]

This isn't a small thing, but getting a dog. More exercise and more snuggles and having someone always happy you've come home= a better life.

Second, having plenty of my favorite kind of underwear, instead of hanging on to older less comfortable stuff, feels luxurious every morning.
posted by metasarah at 10:16 AM on April 8, 2017 [2 favorites]

At least five minutes a day of mindfulness meditation. I'm currently getting a lot out of the Mindful Breathing exercise on the free Mindfulness Coach app. That's really helping me to be more present, focused, and detail oriented with everything.
posted by jazzbaby at 10:54 AM on April 8, 2017

Exercise 5X a week. I started back on Jan 2 have have come up short on my weekly goal only once or twice all year. I work out in the morning before work (I work from home so that makes it easy) with just a treadmill and some dumbbells in the basement. Not only have I lost 15 lbs. this year, I feel better, and I'm making some serious progress on my Netflix queue with 45-60 minutes of interrupted time on the treadmill every morning.

I've found that working out 5X a week is actually easier than the traditional 3X a week as I'm not negotiating with myself in the morning about whether I'll get up to work out, or push it till tomorrow. If it's M-F I'm getting up to work out.
posted by COD at 11:09 AM on April 8, 2017 [3 favorites]

Walking. I walk 1 hour per day from my office to home. It's a nice way to get some exercise and clear up my head after work, and is much more pleasant than taking the subway. Plus the city is always interesting to walk in. I think of it as participatory people watching.
posted by pravit at 11:17 AM on April 8, 2017 [9 favorites]

My therapist strongly encouraged me to get a creative hobby with a physical output, so I'd have a visible, tangible thing I made. I scoffed but agreed. I now have several different projects going on - quilting, basket weaving with reeds made from newspaper, various and sundry papercrafts, coloring, painting, knitting, crochet.

The difference in my stress level is huge. I take the quilting with me everywhere I go (I have an average of 5 doctor appointments a week), and it's an enormous help with my anxiety. Working on any of my projects is a great channel for the manic energy from my bipolar disorder.

All this tangible creativity has also rekindled my intangible creativity. I've been blogging and doing other writing, and I've been composing music. I've even started monetizing my writing, and I've made as much in the last two months as I did in all of 2016. (I'm disabled and homebound, and haven't worked since 2014.)
posted by The Almighty Mommy Goddess at 11:49 AM on April 8, 2017 [15 favorites]

I'm gonna chime in with cutting out carbs (keto) and yoga (I do classes. Seems easier to keep going this way then to do it myself).

And this one might be weird, but I stopped watching most shows/movies that were giving me anxiety - this left pretty much comedies.
posted by pyro979 at 11:51 AM on April 8, 2017 [1 favorite]

Another voice for keto. Absolutely unbelievable what a change it's made in my experience of hunger and satiation, and how much of a difference it is to weigh 50 lbs less....

Other things that really improve my quality of life:

Weight lifting 2x week.

Having all my money tracked electronically via Quicken.

Creating a beautiful and uncluttered home. Paring down my possessions so I don't have to live with the visual distraction all the time.
posted by Sublimity at 12:27 PM on April 8, 2017 [4 favorites]

I don't do keto but cutting out carbs at lunch (and eating a small breakfast like a yogurt or a package of Belvita biscuits) makes me feel sooooo much better and more focused throughout the day. I typically eat a really large salad with olives, feta cheese, and a nice olive oil/vinegar dressing and feel surprisingly full (since there are plenty of fats) and never feel bloated or bogged down. I usually bring a piece of fruit as well but I don't always eat it at lunch, usually in the afternoon when I start to get hungry.

Since it's just salad, you can add some indulgent things and it remains pretty healthy and low-calorie. (It's pretty much the only time I regularly eat any cheese.) Yay!
posted by stoneandstar at 1:04 PM on April 8, 2017 [1 favorite]

Oh, and if you have sensitive/dry skin, not showering so often in the winter. I shower about every 3-4 days, use dry shampoo and cleansing wipes in between. I rarely feel itchy or get cracked skin.
posted by stoneandstar at 1:05 PM on April 8, 2017 [2 favorites]

Stop watching the news and stop reading Facebook. Facebook was a timesuck filled with crappy advertising and mummyguilt and the news just made me spiral into depression and anxiety about things I could do nothing about. I still get alerts coming up, so I'm not completely out of the loop, and trust me, if something major happens, you WILL find out about it, just in case you're thinking you'll miss something you need to know, or an opportunity to donate or help.

I used to pride myself on how how well informed I was but then noticed that the constant deluge of bad things in the world was affecting my state of mind. Since I've gone news lite, I feel much better.
posted by Jubey at 2:05 PM on April 8, 2017 [7 favorites]

walk!

A daily 20 minute walk, brisk if possible, is just huge. And excepting drenching rain days, every single day.
posted by sammyo at 2:18 PM on April 8, 2017 [3 favorites]

ANY type of physical activity. It's natural to think of going to a gym, having a planned regimen. etc. But it's also good to just move more, walk more, stand more. During the work day you can walk (indoors or out) or stretch when you take a break, instead of doing something "fun" on your computer.

Taking breaks. At work, you can be fresher and more productive if you get out of whatever you're doing for 10 minutes every couple of hours.

Positive reinforcement. From time to time, it's good to stop and think, "Here are the positive things I did for myself today." Even little things count.
posted by wryly at 2:21 PM on April 8, 2017 [2 favorites]

Lifting heavy weights three times a week for about half an hour each time.

I sleep better, have less stress, and way more energy.
posted by talldean at 3:06 PM on April 8, 2017 [5 favorites]

Walking, yoga and meditation, if I do all of them in a day I feel incredible.
posted by WalkerWestridge at 3:31 PM on April 8, 2017 [1 favorite]

I agree with keto and exercise.

I'll add riding a bike (to work, or for groceries, or just around the block a few times). Biking is so fun. Wheeee!
posted by salvia at 3:41 PM on April 8, 2017 [1 favorite]

Oh and also, get a cat, if you at all like them. Once I got a cat, and it was a particularly snuggly one, I would come home from work right on time and let it lie on me and pet it while the sun went down. I don't have that kind of time these days, but doesn't that sound like pure happiness? A cat can make you want to put down your phone and just contentedly watch the shadows move across the room while listening to it purr.
posted by salvia at 3:43 PM on April 8, 2017 [16 favorites]

If you don't already, start making your bed every day. It takes like 2 minutes, max, and it's so nice to come home to a tidy bedroom!
posted by radioamy at 4:47 PM on April 8, 2017 [3 favorites]

Seeing people more often. A fluke thing meant my daughter and I needed my parents' help weekly this year, and it was a nice thing to have happen in that we got to see them often. I've invited them to come earlier to have dinner here. We'll have to figure out ways to make seeing them more often part of our regular routine than something we absent-mindedly try for.

And, I live out in the country, and I am a bother to come and visit briefly or on the spur of the moment. But people seem to enjoy a lazy country weekend out here, especially in the summer; the beach is a ten minute walk. So I try to plan out weekends where various friends who get on well, or just one old pal, or a family we're friends with, come out and spend the weekend. We drink too much the first night and eat too much the next morning, maybe hit the beach, nap, get out a now sizeable Trivial Pursuit collection (surprisingly hard to answer some of the dated Qs; we have a kids' set and bring that out sometimes) or Monopoly if the kids around have any interest in spending time with the adults (usually not so much -- and this is nice; all the kids who visit get a weekend to hang out with a critical mass of non-adults, and there are so many random adults floating around that no one grown-up has to do very much parenting). People stroll around my little town, enjoy the stuff in it that I take for granted now, and wander in and out of my gazebo. Some gazebo fairy always seems to borrow a cooler, put it in the gazebo, and fill it with bags of ice, and coolers and white wine and beer. If I ever move back to the city I will probably bother people to rent cabins with me.

Consciously planning to spend a weekend with someone is good stuff, especially nice for those friendships where you can pick up where you left off at any point.

And, oh man, yes, sleep. By any means possible. I take Dalmane and I take too much of it and I don't care; any of the alternatives involve me walking into walls in a daze, with panic attacks, and weight gain, oddly (or not oddly; the entire bowl of fluffy banana whatever is relaxing). I'm probably on it until I die, but it's such a huge quality of life issue and has been for so long, and so, so many other things hadn't worked.

Caveat on pets: I'm sure I sound like a terrible person, but, they can feel burdensome when they are old (and you are feeling old...). They can get expensive at inconvenient times. My cats are older now, and if you try to interact with them you risk getting a scratch out of nowhere; they are angry seniors, in need of hearing aids but too cross to admit it, and not ones cheerfully volunteering to re-paint the community park.
posted by kmennie at 6:13 PM on April 8, 2017 [4 favorites]

Exercise!!!!!!!! I was so skeptical when people kept suggesting this would make me feel better but it has improved my mental and physical well-being x100 and also given me a new social group.
posted by raspberrE at 6:16 PM on April 8, 2017 [1 favorite]

The couch to 5k thing was big for me. Running a few kilometers, a couple times a week is great for my back.
posted by bonobothegreat at 6:53 PM on April 8, 2017 [3 favorites]

Being outside in the woods a few times a week. Doesn't have to be long, just being surrounded by trees and so on is - it's just nice. I feel better.
posted by kerf at 7:17 PM on April 8, 2017 [2 favorites]

Volunteer. I have been meaning to volunteer for my entire adult life and I always came up with an excuse not to do it. I'm too busy, the place is too far away, I should really do laundry/grocery shopping/whatever instead... but finally I decided to just do it already and I started volunteering two hours a week at a local soup kitchen. Just two hours on a Saturday morning that I probably would've spent sleeping or puttering around my apt. And...holy crap, it's great. No matter how stressful my job was this week, no matter how frustrated someone in my life might have made me, or how much the state of politics enrages me... at least I helped give some elderly people a hot meal. That means this week was a success after all. I can't tell you how much happier this has made me.
posted by silverstatue at 7:49 PM on April 8, 2017 [7 favorites]

You know when someone does [rude thing] in [supermarket/traffic.etc] and it steams you? An hour later, you've totally forgotten about it, right? So, instead of waiting an hour, just forget about it right now. Dwelling on it is just masochistic.
posted by bricoleur at 8:20 PM on April 8, 2017 [9 favorites]

This may not be applicable to you, but I recently bought new non-fancy bras that just fit me better because the elastic isn't worn out. My posture is better & my clothes look better on me, increasing my confidence.
posted by CMcG at 3:55 AM on April 9, 2017 [3 favorites]

Similarly to the underwear and bras: plenty of good socks that you like and that go with everything.

This goes a long with something I read a long time ago and live by now: those tiny daily annoyances that don't seem worth fixing? Fix them. Things like broken shoelaces, burned-out light bulbs in fixtures, drawers that don't close right or pull out right, etc. - these consume an outsize amount of stress and cause a low-grade daily irritation. A lot of us tend to not bother fixing small things because they seem so small. Yet, over time, they create a lot more stress than they're worth. So just take care of them as quickly as you can and be done with it.
posted by Miko at 5:19 AM on April 9, 2017 [17 favorites]

Figure out how to buy fruits and vegetables that actually taste good to you with minimal preparation. It may help to consider three things:

1. Time of year. Strawberries in summer are amazing; strawberries in winter are tasteless.
2. Breeds of fruit. It turns out I love gala apples but not red delicious. You may feel the opposite.
3. Vender. Different supermarkets will have different suppliers with different soil conditions and growing techniques.

It will take a little work to figure out what you like, but once you've put in that work, eating healthy suddenly becomes a pleasure rather than a chore.
posted by yankeefog at 6:37 AM on April 9, 2017 [2 favorites]

Try Stoicism.

The Roman Stoic philosopher Epictetus suggests that “we are disturbed not by events, but by the views which we take of them.” Is it really objectively “bad” that my hard drive crashed? Stoicism would argue: no, events are not inherently good or bad. Only our thoughts about them make them so.

The Stoics prescribed a series of intellectual exercises to discipline desire and attachment. A few examples you can try include cultivating self-awareness in the “here and now;” in the morning, mentally rehearsing the day ahead and preparing to meet all outcomes with indifference and equanimity; in the evening, reviewing and reflecting upon your actions of the day; projecting affectionate feelings toward all human beings; and periodically imagining potential catastrophes that could befall you—including your own death—and how to deal with them according to Stoic principles.
posted by sirchutney at 11:38 AM on April 9, 2017 [4 favorites]

I use the freedom Internet blocking app. It has a scheduling function so that the websites that distract me are only available to me a couple hours a day.
posted by umbú at 6:30 PM on April 9, 2017

Good shoes. Quality, longer lasting, shoes that fit properly and are comfortable. You'll feel better physically, your feet won't nag at you, and in the long run you'll save money and time. Investing in quality, comfortable socks, also makes a difference.

Also, do small chores and tasks as you think of them. It takes very little time, usually, and just frees your brain up for better things.
posted by Archipelago at 7:55 PM on April 9, 2017 [2 favorites]

Make your to-do list in the morning and do the least palatable thing first. It doesn't mean the most difficult or most important, just the thing you dread the most. For example, calling to make the dentist appointment that you've been putting off.

Your day is now instantly less stressful, plus you gain confidence to do the rest of your tasks.
posted by AFABulous at 6:32 AM on April 10, 2017 [5 favorites]

YES to Miko's suggestion about fixing the little annoyances. I read this a bit ago and it totally changed my perspective on the "little" things. This dovetails nicely with the 'having your house in order' and whittling down to capsule wardrobe and konmari and all that.
posted by knownassociate at 12:22 PM on April 10, 2017 [2 favorites]

« Older Minneapolis non-pub quiz?   |   App that solves the traveling salesman problem? Newer »