Help me plan a bachelorette in Quebec City

My sister is getting married in May, and we're planning her last single hurrah. Give me some ideas of places to go and things to do.

We've settled on Quebec City as the destination (we are all originally from Vermont, have been to Montreal plenty, and are looking for a spot we haven't been to before and have always wanted to check out QC). Give me some ideas of places to go and things to do. Obviously we're thinking a walking tour or hop on/hop off of QC, definitely want to do a very nice (not fancy, necessarily... but long and beverage-fueled) dinner. We are all into beer and cider--any breweries we can check out? Interesting/pretty historical sites? Must-see neighborhoods or shops? What else am I missing?

Also, if QC is a bad idea, feel free to chime in with that as well. We are all pretty low key people (especially the bride), not looking for a Vegas-type party atmosphere, just looking for a new place to visit. We like the idea that QC might give us that European feel not too far away. Oh, and we will be traveling by car from Burlington, VT.
posted by chestnut-haired-sunfish to Travel & Transportation around Québec City, QC (2 answers total)

Vieux-Québec is pretty, and not very big – you can park your cars underground and walk everywhere. If the budget's big, the Chateau Frontenac is the elephant in the room, hotel-wise. It fronts on the view across the river to Lévis and downriver to the Île d'Orléans. There's also a Marriott and a Delta but otherwise there are a ton of smaller hotels dotted around the old town – they may not have the same amenities as a big hotel but they're more affordable. I organized a get-together at the Hôtel Château Bellevue a few years ago – it's on a park behind the Chateau Frontenac and was perfectly fine, but there are tinier and cheaper places too.

The Quebec art museum has been enlarged recently and is quite grand. The Musées de la civilisation site covers several of the more historical museums. Don't know if you're into this, but it's a very historical spot in general and the Musée de l'Amérique francophone particularly gives you some context.

Vieux-Québec has a ton of tiny streets, boutiques and so on if you think you mostly just want to walk, shop and chat. Lots of small cafés to stop in. Quaintness galore.

If you do want to pop out of town, it's minutes to Montmorency falls, which has a cable car and zipline, and the Île d'Orléans, which is this gorgeous little rural paradise in the river, with a road that skirts the coast and can be driven in a couple of hours. I don't know if May is the best time to visit because it's too soon for strawberries or apples, but some of the villages have things like special chocolate shops, and then there's this place, which sells smoked fish you simply can't get anywhere else. There will probably be brochures about the Île at hotels.

I'm not up on the whole spa thing which I suspect may be part of the bachelorette picture, but Google reveals there are a lot of options in that category.
posted by zadcat at 12:46 PM on March 7, 2017

Paillard for lovely bread, sandwiches & soup for a quick lunch near the old city though there are several French bakeries to choose from.

There are two cathedrals that are the equivalent of art museums. StAnne de Beaupre is a short drive has good parking & local flavor. Norte Dame is in-town an gives tours for a nominal fee. You can bill it as "Church envy". One had different animals carved into the pews. Gorgeous space, and my atheist partner suggested both places.
posted by childofTethys at 3:32 PM on March 7, 2017

« Older Backcountry permits for Zion National Park   |   Why does Android keep forgetting permissions? Newer »