Bean Sprouts recipes

Every time I buy beansprouts (usually either for pad thai or summer rolls) I have a massive amount left over, because the asian market only sells them in bigass bags as big as my head. Please give me your favorite recipes that require a WHOLE LOT of mung bean sprouts.
posted by Greg Nog to Food & Drink (14 answers total) 13 users marked this as a favorite

Korean restaurants here all serve a beansprout side that's seasoned with sesame and soy. It's really good, though I don't know much one person could actually eat in a normal week. Here's a sample recipe: kongnamool.
posted by kanewai at 6:21 PM on February 23, 2017 [9 favorites]

You can stir-fry the whole lot into deliciousness.

You'll need:
- Lots of bean sprouts
- A clove or two of garlic
- A bit of ginger
- Some scallions
- A bit of *light* soy sauce
- A bit of Chinese vinegar
- A bit of Shaoxing wine or Cantonese rice wine
- Vegetable cooking oil (*not* olive oil, it'll ruin the flavor)

Roughly chop up the garlic and ginger. Slice the scallions at an oblique angle (shown here as "scallion hairs").

Heat the cooking oil in the wok. Once it's heated, throw in the garlic, ginger, and scallions and stir until they are fragrant. Then toss in the bean sprouts and stir fry for a few minutes until they are slightly softened. Then toss in the vinegar, wine, and soy sauce. Enjoy!

I don't really have a recipe with exact amounts for this--it's something I learned to make while living in Beijing and I eyeball all the amounts. It's a fairly forgiving dish, you don't have to be exact.
posted by so much modern time at 6:32 PM on February 23, 2017 [5 favorites]

Yeah, just stir-fry them. They're great with just garlic and light soy sauce. Don't overcook them or they'll lose their crunchiness.

You can also add them to noodle soups.
posted by destrius at 6:39 PM on February 23, 2017

Omelette?
posted by kjs4 at 6:42 PM on February 23, 2017

I would definitely use the bulk of them in some kind of stir fry, but I still occasionally make variations on this sandwich they sold in my Student Union in 1992 as "vegetarian sandwich" which was:

Cream cheese
Apple slices
Roasted salted sesame seeds (shelled, obviously)
Sprouts - sometimes alfalfa, sometimes these kind of bean sprouts
Inside a halved pita pocket

It's pretty ripe for upscaling - goat cheese or maybe camembert or blue, pear slices, the sesame seeds are really good but any kind of nuts would be good so long as you compensate for that salt, and eaten on a seedy bread toast or even a bagel. The cheese-fruit part offsets the umami of the nuts and sprouts, and it was good even when the apples were a little sour.
posted by Lyn Never at 6:43 PM on February 23, 2017 [5 favorites]

Do whatever version of pho you feel up to (I've even seen pho-specific boxes of seasoned chicken broth on my grocery shelves) but then replace like half the noodles with bean sprouts. Keep half of them to the side and add them in once you've eaten the first half so they keep their crunchiness and don't get completely cooked by the hot soup. A good way to cut some carbs if you care about that, but I just love the texture almost more than noodles.

The thing about mung bean sprouts is that their flavor is so neutral that they go with nearly anything. So whatever you have that makes you go "hrmmm this needs something crunchy" then you add sprouts to it. If you slow cook a hunk of meat in a nice sauce, consider topping with a pile of seasoned sprouts, for example. Or any salad made with the more delicate greens.
posted by Mizu at 7:27 PM on February 23, 2017 [4 favorites]

You can stuff a shit ton of bean sprouts into banh xeo!
posted by ohkay at 7:43 PM on February 23, 2017 [3 favorites]

Okonomiyaki (Japanese savory egg pancake)
posted by ottereroticist at 7:51 PM on February 23, 2017

Ipoh bean sprout chicken. I haven't tried this recipe, but it looks plausible and I can vouch for the deliciousness of the dish. There is a quicker poaching method in the comments. For the dipping sauce, add a good bit of minced garlic and chopped chillis to a little dish of soya sauce.
posted by tavegyl at 8:28 PM on February 23, 2017

No recipes to suggest, but you could always sprout your own beans in smaller batches. Back in the day, I used to sprout mung and alfalfa in mason jars with a strainer lid. Soak the beans overnight, drain in the morning, and then rinse a couple of times/day until the sprouts are ready to eat. Iirc, mung beans were ready in about 4-5 days.
posted by she's not there at 9:57 PM on February 23, 2017 [5 favorites]

I saw a cooking show on Japanese TV (which seems to be nothing but cooking shows) where they used the mung bean sprouts instead of noodles. I don't fully remember, but to retain their crunchiness, the sprouts were dipped in starch and grated cheese before frying them, and apparently, they were delicious and I'm beating myself for not having tried that recipe yet.
posted by LoonyLovegood at 2:45 AM on February 24, 2017 [1 favorite]

Make traditional South Indian sprouted mung bean dosas! Not hard and very tasty.
posted by peacheater at 4:17 AM on February 24, 2017 [1 favorite]

Super easy sprout bibimbap
posted by ad4pt at 4:22 AM on February 24, 2017 [2 favorites]

Came in here to say basically what so much modern time said. I would say that it will still be good even without the cooking wine, so don't let that stop you.

I also just soak sprouts in any soup, pho or not.
posted by batter_my_heart at 6:19 PM on February 24, 2017

« Older Charity auctions near Boston   |   College Student in my class with MAGA hat Newer »