Recommendations for ready-to-drink mixes of veggies/fruits/grains?

I'm looking for something like Soylent 2.0, only made with whole veggies/fruits/grains/etc.

I have become jealous of my infant child's ability to get whole fruits and veggies in her diet with zero preparation (via Beech-Nut baby food). I drink 1–2 bottles of Soylent 2.0 per day and would like to add in something that is equally convenient but a little closer to actual food. Any ideas?
posted by rbw to Food & Drink (10 answers total) 13 users marked this as a favorite

I haven't tried it yet, but I heard an interview with the makers of Chuice on the Rich Roll podcast.
posted by FencingGal at 12:47 PM on February 22, 2017

I mean, you can eat baby food.

But if you're looking for something adult size, would Naked or Odwalla juices be what you're looking for? Keep in mind, though, while you'll get the vitamins from fruits and vegetables that are juiced, you won't get the fiber so it won't be as filing as whole fresh produce.
posted by Swiss Meringue Buttercream at 12:50 PM on February 22, 2017 [3 favorites]

Can you not eat fresh fruits and veggies? Apple, banana, celery, carrot?
Because that's the best way to get fruits and veggies. Only prep is washing...

Anyway, if you need a drink, I sometimes mix Psyllium husk into fancy juice smothies from the store (Naked, Odwalla, generic alternatives). This way I get more fiber and more filling, getting around the problem Swiss Meringue mentions above.
posted by SaltySalticid at 1:00 PM on February 22, 2017

This has a tiny bit of prep (adding liquid and blending or heating), but Daily Harvest seems to be close to what you're looking for. They're quite a bit more expensive than normal smoothies, though.
posted by Fig at 1:16 PM on February 22, 2017

Not new-school, but what about V8? The original version is mostly veggies and water. There's also a high-fiber version.
posted by hydra77 at 2:00 PM on February 22, 2017 [5 favorites]

Does it have to be a drink? Mealsquares sound like exactly what you want (nutritionally complete, made from whole foods), in solid form. I use them for an afternoon snack: they're filling and reasonably tasty, in addition to being nutritious.
posted by golwengaud at 2:04 PM on February 22, 2017 [2 favorites]

Maybe something like Noka? I haven't tried it, but my friend said that the texture is kind of like applesauce.
posted by amarynth at 2:24 PM on February 22, 2017 [2 favorites]

Real Food Blends and Liquid Hope/Nourish are tube feeding formulas made of 100% real foods including veggies, grains, and to some degree fruits (RFB includes meat in some products, Liquid Hope is plant based). They're totally drinkable, though. I've tasted a few, they're not bad. Compleat is another formula that has a lot of real food ingredients, but also has quite a few, like "protein isolate" ingredients. I haven't tasted that one.

None of these are super affordable, though Compleat is the cheapest.
posted by obfuscation at 4:43 PM on February 22, 2017 [1 favorite]

Here are two "Soylent but with better ingredient" competitors, although you'll have to decide if they pass your "real food" threshold:

Ample Meal
Ambronite
posted by meowzilla at 10:35 AM on February 23, 2017 [1 favorite]

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I’ve ordered some MealSquares and Ample to try; I’m hoping they’ll be a good fit! Chuice sounds good but it’s $12 / 400 kcal, which is outside of my price range. Noka is closer; I might give it a shot sometime. V8 is an interesting idea; it was pretty pricey from most sources but is cheap in 46-oz cans from Walmart. I shy away from things like Naked and Odwalla; I have concerns about whether products that are mostly fruit juice are actually good for you (sugar content? glycemic load/index?). This concern may also apply to Noka, to be fair. Real Food Blends are intriguing; the first ingredient in each variety is fruit juice, but the sugar content per meal (9–17 g) isn’t outrageous. Compleat’s first two ingredients are water and brown rice syrup and they don’t appear to list how much sugar is in it, which doesn’t inspire confidence. Nourish and Liquid Hope both sound like good options if you can afford them, especially if you actually need a product for tube feeding.

price per 400 kcal (quick-and-dirty calculations based on lowest cost I could find):
Daily Harvest: $20*
Beech-Nut baby food: $18
Chuice: $12
Nourish: $8
Liquid Hope: $7
Ambronite: $6.73**
Noka: $6
Ample: $5–6**
Real Food Blends: $4–5
V8: $3
MealSquares: $2.83
Soylent 2.0 (“Drink”): $2.69
Soylent Powder: $1.54**

*requires blending/heating; assuming average of 140 kcal per smoothie
**requires mixing with water
posted by rbw at 12:44 PM on March 10, 2017 [2 favorites]

« Older I need to learn how to make and store a podcast.   |   Has anyone had experience with Addressable... Newer »