There's a type of product literally called "makeup", what is it?
February 16, 2017 5:54 PM   Subscribe

Here's an example of makeup. Here are even more from the same page: makeup and makeup. What is this product, what is it for. This has been mystifying me for several years and it is very difficult for me to Google because I get back responses having to do with what I think of as makeup: lipstick, eyeshadow, concealer, foundation, etc. Makeup is all of those things. But makeup is also apparently a specific type of cosmetic...what does it do? Hopefully this will be the easiest question in the world to answer for someone who knows even a little bit more about cosmetics than I do.
posted by Danila to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (7 answers total)
What you're looking at there is more often referred to as foundation. It makes skin look smoother. It comes in a range of thicknesses, from quite lightweight that just adds a light smooth layer over the skin, to heavy enough to cover blemishes and moles.
posted by fingersandtoes at 5:56 PM on February 16, 2017 [5 favorites]

you are looking for foundation. if you go to a place like Sephora or Ulta a salesperson can give you some one-on-one help through various brands/types etc., help you pick the type and color best for you.
posted by supermedusa at 5:58 PM on February 16, 2017

I think the problem here is that most people use 'makeup' to refer to the general category of all cosmetics, but the brand Clinique has a weird affectation where they use it specifically to refer to foundation. If you go to Sephora and click on Makeup (their general category for foundation, blush, eyeliner, etc.), the Foundation, and then limit the brand to Clinique, you get all the products that you linked to.
posted by ArbitraryAndCapricious at 6:10 PM on February 16, 2017 [5 favorites]

Yes, these are versions of foundation-- also called makeup, and the sheer, skin moisturizing versions are sometimes called BB Cream or CC cream or tinted moisturizer-- but they all belong to the same category. You pick the color that matches your existing skin tone and apply it to your face. Depending on the formulation, it can be a light, sheer layer that evens out the color/tone of your face and makes you look more put-together and refreshed; it can be a powder you can apply with a light or heavy hand; it can be a thicker, more matte layer designed to cover blemishes or shine or hide wrinkles, etc., and everything in between. Not everyone who wears other cosmetics wears it-- I'd say it's far less common than mascara or lip color.
posted by kapers at 6:12 PM on February 16, 2017 [3 favorites]

Yes thank you! It's a Clinique thing! My aunt sells Clinique so I often buy their products and this has been bugging me for a long time but I didn't notice it was their thing they do. Also I was confused because Clinique definitely has products they call "foundation" like everyone else in the world but that's obviously not typical for them. Sadly, I own this, I use it regularly and of course it's my foundation. I never even noticed they call it "makeup". Mystery solved!
posted by Danila at 6:20 PM on February 16, 2017 [1 favorite]

Don't feel bad, all that stuff is named and packaged so as to be as mysterious as possible. And if you think cosmetic terms are bad, wait til you try to figure what on earth skin care products are supposed to do.
posted by fingersandtoes at 6:26 PM on February 16, 2017 [7 favorites]

Don't feel bad, all that stuff is named and packaged so as to be as mysterious as possible. And if you think cosmetic terms are bad, wait til you try to figure what on earth skin care products are supposed to do.

Hahaha indeed! - I love cosmetics and skin care, but the names can be over the top and not always obvious about what a product does! Nexxus sells a product it calls Finishing Sprae - hairspray with a youneek spelling, I guess to appear more high-tech and schmancy.

I recall a company in the 80's (forgot which one, alas!) that called its lipstick "lip makeup." I have no idea why - to make its lipstick stand out in a saturated market, maybe?
posted by Rosie M. Banks at 5:37 AM on February 17, 2017 [3 favorites]

« Older Inexpensive body wipes that don't smell funny?...   |   College recommendation for CompSci Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.