What kind of knife is this?

This strange little antique casita knife intrigues me.

I found this knife in a casita in New Mexico and the man who owned it had lived for nearly all the 20th century. I am just wondering what kind of knife it is, so that I might look up more information on how it might have been crafted and what it might have been used for. (If you have feedback on either of those things, that'd be even better).

My internet search results were fruitless. Apparently my wild guesses at what kind of knife it is were too wild.

Thank you!
posted by letahl to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (12 answers total)

Oyster knife?
posted by Mchelly at 6:12 PM on February 13, 2017 [1 favorite]

Well worn carpet knife?
posted by Muted Flugelhorn at 6:18 PM on February 13, 2017 [3 favorites]

Eh, it could be any number of things, but possibly mushroom hunting knife?
posted by furnace.heart at 6:25 PM on February 13, 2017 [1 favorite]

If you google for "pruning knife" you'll see a ton of pix of older wooden-handled knives with hook blades like this.
posted by zadcat at 6:26 PM on February 13, 2017

Looks like an antique billhook for pruning.
posted by notquitemaryann at 6:29 PM on February 13, 2017

My money's on carpet knife.
posted by turbid dahlia at 6:53 PM on February 13, 2017 [1 favorite]

Pruning blade and carpet knife are pretty much the same shape.
posted by irisclara at 7:12 PM on February 13, 2017

It has drops of white paint on it. So maybe the carpet knife is right, or maybe it has an artistic use, it has been sharpened, or looks like someone used it to sharpen pencils. I think carpet knives need a sharp point to get the cuts started. Maybe it is used to cut the fruit off of cacti. It might also be used in leather working.
posted by Oyéah at 8:07 PM on February 13, 2017

It's a Linoleum knife.
posted by Confess, Fletch at 8:16 PM on February 13, 2017 [1 favorite]

carpet/linoleum knife would probably be the knifes original purpose. It does look like it's been well used, so the blade is probably a shadow of its original shape.

an ebay search for "vintage carpet knife" results in many similar looking tools.
posted by Packed Lunch at 1:56 AM on February 14, 2017 [1 favorite]

It also looks a lot like a cheese knife.
posted by CathyG at 7:01 AM on February 14, 2017

Thanks, all. Having reviewed the options, it is certainly a linoleum/carpet knife. Which I am now proudly repurposing into a cheese knife because, lineolum - ew. :)

I love this place.
posted by letahl at 8:19 AM on February 14, 2017 [1 favorite]

« Older Where can I buy a plexiglass sheet for...   |   The best-laid plans of genetically-modified mice Newer »