A mysterious murder mystery

I was recommended a trilogy of murder mysteries in a passing conversation on the bus. I didn't think to write down the titles, but now I'm trying track them down with from the details I remember.

- it's a trilogy with a male author. He may not have published anything else under that name.
- the first book in the trilogy involves rare books, possibly in a library or book store.
- they're well written with catchy titles.

That's not a lot to go on, but here's hoping
posted by figurant to Media & Arts (9 answers total) 11 users marked this as a favorite

John Dunning's Cliff Janeway books? Booked To Die is the first one, I believe.
posted by hoyland at 3:13 PM on February 12, 2017 [5 favorites]

Cliff Janeway novels by John Dunning? There are five not three but they're very good.
posted by jessamyn at 3:14 PM on February 12, 2017 [1 favorite]

Anything here?
posted by The corpse in the library at 3:43 PM on February 12, 2017 [2 favorites]

I read this a while ago and don't remember the details, but as I recall they're well written. Mobile Library Mysteries.
posted by The corpse in the library at 3:46 PM on February 12, 2017

The Shadow of the Wind?
posted by blueshammer at 4:03 PM on February 12, 2017 [1 favorite]

The Shadow of the Wind was my first thought as well, although I don't know that I'd describe them as murder mysteries. Very good though, and you should read them regardless.
posted by scantee at 4:53 PM on February 12, 2017

Was it the Roth Trilogy by Andrew Taylor? The names of the books are The Four Last Things, The Judgement of Strangers and The Office of the Dead. A rare book plays a part in all 3 novels.
posted by Ziggy500 at 3:35 AM on February 13, 2017

Hi all,

Nothing matches exactly what I remember, but I was probably fuzzy on the precise details. Andrew Taylor and John Dunning are the best bets, and they look like great recommendations anyway. Thanks!
posted by figurant at 9:46 AM on February 14, 2017

« Older Fitting a home theater into a multipurpose...   |   I want to run for school board. What... Newer »