Best books about decline and fall of Ottoman Empire / Greco-Turkish war?

I am interested in learning more about the very end of the Ottoman Empire. Broadly speaking, this would cover the twentieth century period of the empire (1900-1922) with strong coverage of the Greco-Turkish war and the other conflicts with Allied powers trying to carve up the Empire after World War One.

Amazon hasn't been terribly helpful in this regard which is not surprising because this is a bit of a specialized topic that isn't very popular among the American reading public so even a good chapter or two in a broader historical survey would be appreciated. Thank you very much for any help you can provide.
posted by the hot hot side of randy to Society & Culture (5 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

The scope might be a bit broader than what you're looking for, but I quite enjoyed Lawrence in Arabia: War, Deceit, Imperial Folly and the Making of the Modern Middle East by Scott Anderson when I read it a couple of years ago.
posted by platitudipus at 5:36 PM on February 9, 2017

Can't help you out directly, but the /r/AskHistorians subreddit is a good place to ask for pointers to reading material. They maintain a recommended reading list, on which I saw recommended this book.
posted by quaking fajita at 6:10 PM on February 9, 2017 [1 favorite]

Eugene Rogan's The Fall of the Ottomans: The Great War in the Middle East, 1914-20 (2015) is what I recommend to my undergraduates.
posted by idlethink at 11:58 PM on February 9, 2017 [1 favorite]

I'm reading Alfred J. Rieber's The Struggle for the Eurasian Borderlands: From the Rise of Early Modern Empires to the End of the First World War; it covers the Habsburg, Russian, Ottoman, Iranian, and Qing empires, but you say "even a good chapter or two in a broader historical survey would be appreciated," and this is a superb survey that makes you understand all those empires better, so you might give it a try.
posted by languagehat at 12:09 PM on February 10, 2017 [2 favorites]

Empire of Sand by Walter Reid
posted by battleshipkropotkin at 1:16 PM on February 10, 2017

« Older How should I react to my wife's bad moods?   |   Wanna Post Book Chapters on Facebook Newer »