Tasker and Pebble Time

I bought a Pebble Time Round hoping to use it to view results from a smartphone app on my watch. Only to learn that apparently the Pebble only works with Pebble Apps and not necessarily pre-existing Play Store apps. Shoot! However, I've heard of possible workaround solutions using Tasker and PebbleTasker, but it seems a little overwhelming. Can you help me figure out how to make this work?

I use the FBAScan app and an external Bluetooth barcode scanner to scan items. After scanning an item, it comes up in a box on part of the screen as a green "buy" box, or a red "reject" box. Is there a way I can take this data using Tasker and have my Pebble watch say either Buy or Reject based on what comes up on my phone's screen? If so, I need some help setting it up! I'm not at all familiar with Tasker and would like the most straightforward solution possible to this. I am thinking perhaps something based on the text that the app displays, or based on the color of the box, could then display the word "buy" or "reject" on my Pebble, but I don't know how to set this up via Tasker.

If any of you lovely people can figure out how to configure this, please help me! Else, if you know of another workaround that might help, please let me know.
posted by Malleable to Technology (3 answers total)

AutoNotification and AutoPebble should be able to handle this in Tasker. I do something less interactive but similar to give me a Pebble Notification when our Android baby monitor detects noise.
posted by jtfowl0 at 3:53 PM on February 4, 2017

I tried searching /r/Pebble, and that's still an option because Reddit's server's decided they were working too hard to be able to run my search. Google, however, coughed up /r/PebbleTasker, which appears to be an Android app with pebble (including your PTR) that lets you command Tasker from Pebble.

Any app that can serve up a notification on Android can have that notification sent to Pebble by the Pebble App, so if you can get tasker to send the BUY/REJECT as a notification from itself, then you can see that on the watch.
posted by Sunburnt at 5:16 PM on February 4, 2017 [1 favorite]

If you're comfortable side-loading an APK...
GadgetBridge is an Android (4.4+) application which will allow you to use your Pebble or Mi Band without the vendor's closed source application and without the need to create an account and transmit any of your data to the vendor's servers.

I wasn't able to get it to talk to my very-cheapie generic smartwatch, but the Pebble Time Round is specifically on the supported list.
posted by quinndexter at 8:56 PM on February 4, 2017

« Older Help me dress like a primary school art teacher!...   |   Unpredicted font behavior in MS Outlook messages Newer »