Therapist recommendation in Seattle area
February 3, 2017 12:08 PM   Subscribe

I'm looking for a therapist/mental health specialist who deals with both depression and hoarding disorders. Does anybody (1) know of any mental health care professionals who handle this in the Seattle area and (2) have anybody they actually recommend?

I'll be happy to just get a list of those who handle the specialty - specific recommendations will be considered a bonus.

The person I am helping has Washington Medicaid through the Amerigroup insurance company. If you also happen to know that the health care professional you are suggesting takes that insurance, well... then I will bake you a pie.
posted by Cardinal Fang! to Health & Fitness (9 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
Contact the Outpatient Psychiatry Clinic at UWMC-Roosevelt. The best bet for both depression and hoarding is cognitive behavioral therapy; if it was a loved one of mine, I would not look into any other form of treatment as a first option. Please feel free to be in touch if this doesn't work out- I can check with my colleagues for other options.
posted by quiet coyote at 12:56 PM on February 3, 2017

I found my Seattle-area therapist through Psychology Today so checked to see if any popped up with that specialty, and ugh, there's no one specializing in Hoarding except one person in Gig Harbor, and none that take Amerigroup. Would it be helpful, per quiet coyote's recommendation to find cognitive behavior therapy oriented treatment, to see a list of CBT oriented therapists who do take Amerigroup in Seattle, though?
posted by the thorn bushes have roses at 1:27 PM on February 3, 2017

I should's unlikely that you will find someone who specifically says they specialize in both disorders. A lot of CBT people have expertise in depression, anxiety, and PTSD, because specializing in something more narrow would mean they wouldn't have enough clients (especially with something rare like hoarding). Looking for people with OCD experience might get you a few more options for people who have seen relatively more hoarding cases.

I would check the ABCT search engine before Psychology Today. A lot of therapists say they do CBT when they actually do talk therapy. You're looking for someone who assigns regular homework, has structured sessions, and anticipates a time-limited duration of treatment (maybe months- not years and years).
posted by quiet coyote at 1:45 PM on February 3, 2017 [2 favorites]

I'm curious - do therapists who do not "specialize" in things like hoarding disorders generally not take on clients who have those disorders? Do they feel that somebody who shows that disorder needs a specialist?
posted by Cardinal Fang! at 2:24 PM on February 3, 2017

It's not that they won't take clients if they don't specialize in a disorder, they just usually have broader specialties than a disorder like hoarding. CBT uses a very similar set of skills across depressive/anxiety/trauma and stressor-related/obsessive-compulsive disorders, but there are manuals for specific diagnoses within those big umbrellas. So someone who is a strong CBT therapist can effectively treat a range of conditions, but they usually have more experience with one or two of those big umbrellas. They will use their ethical judgment to determine whether something is out of their competence (because treating someone you're not competent to treat could get your license revoked), ideally seek out an evidence-based hoarding treatment manual, and use professional consultation and supervision from people with more extensive disorder-specific experience as appropriate. One way to think about it is that CBT therapists are like physical therapists- when they specialize, it's in something like "back problems" rather than "back pain caused by degenerative disc disease"; they typically apply a flexible set of skills to a shared set of problems in various manifestations according to the best available research evidence.
posted by quiet coyote at 2:44 PM on February 3, 2017 [1 favorite]

Check out Seattle Counseling Service. They take Medicaid, and have quite a few therapists/counselors.
posted by spinifex23 at 7:02 PM on February 3, 2017

Now that I'm no longer on a phone, here's their website: Seattle Counseling Service. It does serve the LGBTQ community, primarily. They may have referrals to other services that take Medicaid, if they can't help.

(Edt because I didn't want to present wrong information.)
posted by spinifex23 at 8:26 PM on February 3, 2017

I'd like to thank all of you for your help. You've provided a lot of information, and what sounds like good advice. I'll do my best to follow it.
posted by Cardinal Fang! at 12:30 AM on February 4, 2017

Also, Professional Organizers are trained to assist with this disorder. It takes time to overcome the causes and support is very helpful. Change is difficult - face the pain or live small.
posted by silvergirlwon at 5:50 AM on February 4, 2017

« Older Can you identify this (possibly military) patch?   |   Am I In General Contractor Hell (or not?) Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.