Japanese diner books and TV shows?

I just finished watching Midnight Diner -Tokyo Stories on Netflix and I loved it. What are other books, TV shows, and movies about Japanese diners? I'm not so much interested in sushi -- more these places that serve soups, noodles, and what seems to be a lot of fried meats... Also, is diner the correct term for this kind of Japanese restaurant?
posted by puckupdate to Food & Drink (11 answers total) 20 users marked this as a favorite

The first thing that comes to mind is Tampopo by Juzo Itami, about (among other things) a struggling noodle shop.
posted by ralan at 6:27 AM on January 27, 2017 [6 favorites]

Tampopo is fictional, not documentary, but I bet you'll love it.
On edit: jinx!
posted by daniel striped tiger at 6:27 AM on January 27, 2017 [3 favorites]

There's The Lonely Gourmet - it's pretty easy to find subtitled online, on Korean drama sites. Those sites also have what looks like other seasons of Midnight Diner (and a movie) as well as the Korean remake.
posted by Gortuk at 6:31 AM on January 27, 2017

I don't have specific suggestions but the term you're looking for is probably izakaya.
posted by specialagentwebb at 6:47 AM on January 27, 2017 [1 favorite]

I got confused myself making this post (maybe someone can answer some of my questions) but just some details on the whole Midnight Diner universe:

Midnight Diner is adapted from a manga (comic book) called Shinya Shokudō.

There are actually three seasons of the Japanese TV show (30 episodes total), but I think Netflix only has one. I'm not sure why the name and year change to "Midnight Diner - Tokyo Stories (2016)" - Was there any editing done to the original Japanese series? Oddly, it's called a "Netflix Original."

It was also adapted into two feature films Midnight Diner (2014) and Midnight Diner 2 (2016) - I haven't watched the movies so I'm not sure if it's the TV show recut into a movie or entirely new footage.

The source manga was also adapted into a Korean show called Late Night Restaurant.
posted by bluecore at 6:50 AM on January 27, 2017 [1 favorite]

There's The Ramen Girl. I've never seen it, though, so I can't vouch for whether it's any good.
posted by chimpsonfilm at 6:53 AM on January 27, 2017

Ill admit that this is kind of a non-answer, but I originally mis-read your question as shows about Japanese DinNer and wanted to put in a recommendation for Cooking with Dog, a YouTube series my dad turned me on to. Its so weird and delightful it could only be from Japan.
posted by Exceptional_Hubris at 7:26 AM on January 27, 2017 [1 favorite]

Wakakozake! Wakako visits a new izakaya in every new chapter/episode. It's a very quick read/watch. The manga only has about 4-6 pages per chapter, and each anime episode is 2 minutes long. There was a short anime series, with 2-minute episodes - which you can watch on Crunchyroll.
posted by Xere at 7:29 AM on January 27, 2017 [1 favorite]

Somewhat related, NHK World has a show Document 72 hours that goes to random places and hangs around for 72 hours interviewing people who drop by. Sometimes these are food places like a stand up oden shop or a mall food court or a lone ancient udon vending machine. To me the show has a sorta similar vibe to Midnight Diner. The same network also has Lunch On which goes to various workplaces and such to check out people's lunch routines.
posted by zengargoyle at 9:37 AM on January 27, 2017 [2 favorites]

Just a quick update -- I love and recommend Lunch On. It's amazing and perfect. That's a great call, zengargoyle. Document 72 is also great. I'm enjoying Late Night Restauarant, too. I've requested Tampopo from my library. Great suggestions! Thanks everyone!
posted by puckupdate at 7:16 PM on February 6, 2017

« Older Tell me your cheesecake secrets   |   It's not a midlife crisis if I learn valuable... Newer »