I'm trying to find gold bar and agate/geo earrings for sensitive ears

Hi Folks! I have seen cute gold bar earrings, similar to this image, on a lot of folks. I FINALLY found them. However, I bought the earrings at DSW and they caused my ears to become red- I have very sensitive ears. I love all the earring is this image in particular the crystal ones and the agate/geo looking ones- of course in addition to the gold bars. Any ideas on where to find for sensitive ears? I thought perhaps Etsy but I have no clue how to begin looking. thanks!
posted by TRUELOTUS to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (11 answers total)

Your image isn't coming up.
posted by Slinga at 3:22 PM on January 22, 2017

I hope this is embedded now.
posted by TRUELOTUS at 3:39 PM on January 22, 2017

I don't know to to do ze links either but I think you'd dig jaxkelly.com - all sterling or 14k gold.
posted by le_salvo at 3:55 PM on January 22, 2017

These are pricey but gold shouldn't irritate your ears the way the nickel in the other ones do.
posted by Drosera at 4:16 PM on January 22, 2017

My sensitive ears used to get red and itchy unless I wore 14k or higher gold (not plated) or sterling silver earrings. But now everything bothers me for more than an hour or two.

Surprisingly, Claire's has a line of hypoallergenic earrings and might be a good place to find cheap versions of the ones you liked to see if they bother you.
posted by galvanized unicorn at 5:26 PM on January 22, 2017

My wife had this problem. The only thing that works for her is "585 russian gold" earrings. EBay sellers with good ratings are the way to go.
posted by pyro979 at 5:57 PM on January 22, 2017

Link to the earrings.

Link to jaxkelly.com.

Link to how to construct links on metafilter.

If you can't find what you are looking for in stores a simple gold bar on a stud is a buck simple thing for any actual jeweller to construct.
posted by Mitheral at 6:31 PM on January 22, 2017

If Claire's earrings work for you, they have a sister store called Icing that is aimed at an older crowd and might have trends that are more appealing.

I also have sensitive earrings and the stuff they sell at Macy's is usually fine with me.
posted by radioamy at 8:20 PM on January 22, 2017

It looks like "bar post earrings" or "bar stud earrings" would be a workable search on etsy. At that point, it's just different metals to search through.
posted by getawaysticks at 7:16 AM on January 23, 2017

I love Virginia Wynne's work for things like this. I have sensitive ears too and nothing I've ever purchased from her have caused any problems.
posted by goggie at 10:39 AM on January 23, 2017

« Older How do I work out the best use of my activist time...   |   Looking for books/resources on Breathe Work Newer »